Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

sudden failure of domain logons

steve

« on: April 23, 2003, 01:18:13 PM »
We have been using an e-smith box now for well over a year, but suddenly for no reason the box stopped accepting domain logons.
Not mind you for currently active machines, but for any new machines attempting to connect to the box.
The msg is "permission denied". What is a worry is that any machine removed from the domain is not allowed to re-access it.
We upgraded to 5.5 just to see if it fixed the problem but alas it did not.

I'll give some more details later when I have spent some time on the logs and so forth.

Any thoughts would be welcome...

Steve D

peter

Re: sudden failure of domain logons
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 12:22:54 AM »
Which OS are you using on your new machines?

If you use XP you need to do some regediting on the XP machines.
There are several treads over that problem.

look at this one :

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=16336.msg63165#msg63165

Hope this solves your problem

Peter

Don Whitley

Re: sudden failure of domain logons
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 05:01:59 PM »
Are the desktops Windows XP

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 08:42:55 AM »
shit guys :( im getting teh same problem ive got SME 6.01 beta 3 and i succesfuly got 17 machines to join the domain , the next day I came in all those machines were refused domain login (saying domain is unavailable, they had reg patches before this all hapened and they were all working on the domain)

anyway with those 17 computers not being able to see the domain what totally stunned me was that the other 16  machines susccesfuly joined the domain , ive tried putting the 17 computers on a workgroup and try to get them back onto the domain but it refuses saying access is denied or login password is incorect :/

ive searched the forums for about 5 hours now and it seems the only solution people have is doing a fresh install on teh XP machines something I am not prepared to do since I have wasted a lot of time already and 17 computers to rebuild is a pain :(

dariusjs

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 08:47:27 AM »
that was my post by the way , im going crazy , dont know why it suddenly is refusing log ons ;( ( ( ( ( ((

barryf

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 02:41:56 PM »
You haven't got any local firewall software (ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security etc) running on your clients have you?  This can screw up logging on if it isn't set up properly.

Barry

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 03:31:34 AM »
nope, these are fresh XP installs :(

bavel

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 07:26:16 PM »
It seems that SME stores info about clients in some kind of database - and that database may become corrupt.

You may get around the problem by trying to eliminate the machine accounts from the database, and then join the clients again.

Removing the machines from the domain is documented very nicely by Darrell May in his article (http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/dmay/mitel/howto/samba-howto.html); it works for version 6 as well.

Offline bushinc

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bushinc.com
XP Failure to Login to Domain
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 10:05:48 PM »
I received a support call this morning telling me that a user couldn't login to the domain on a machine she hadn't logged into before.
It is a remote PC, so I assumed that the problem was with the network connection.

I haven't gotten hold of anyone to test on a known working computer.

Have you rebooted your server. I'm having problems with this version of samba and memory leaks when restarting the smb services.  So possibly it is in an unstable state.

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 01:30:20 AM »
there seems to be no solution to fix the problem other than a format ;( ive tried the reg patches net use \\server /delete and none of it worked

Offline bushinc

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bushinc.com
Re: XP Failure to Login to Domain
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2004, 07:10:04 AM »
Okay, I'm following up on my previous post about the user not being able to login to the domain.
It turns out that the computer's hard drive was failing.  The system log was filling up with a bad block message (I logged in as the local administrator).  It appears that the files that hold the trust information were corrupted.

It doesn't look like SME had anything to do with the problem.....