Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Restrict UserID to Certain Workstation

wallyrp

Restrict UserID to Certain Workstation
« on: March 29, 2004, 01:52:25 AM »
:hammer:

Good Afternoon,

I'm looking at trying something new next school year for the SME servers that I have in place.

My basic idea is to create groups and userid's that relate to the class, period, and student. Here's the example:

GroupName: grade#  << # replaced with actual number
StudentID's: s#p#g# << s# would be 1-30, p# would be the period number, g# is the grade number.

I know that this will create a whole host of id's but it's a standard that won't change due to student turnover. It will be a template that can be easily setup from a backup every year.

The other idea is to create one group and standard userid's to be given to the student when they enroll.

Either way I ultimately decide to do it, I need to tie userid's to workstations. I would like this to interact with the Win2k domain but this would only be a convenience factor. I'm trying to tie computers, time schedules, and userid's together.

I'm trying to get an accurate report about what student's are doing on the Internet. I like the way WebSpy presents reports in a way that a principal or teacher can understand. Right now, I have generic id's for the elementary and high school students, one for each group. The current setup won't allow for accurate reports from WebSpy.

I'm also going to separate the subnets between the elementary and high school so that I can provide a tighter DansGuardian setup for the elementary students versus the high school students. From what I understand, this will require that I setup two SME boxes to allow this to happen.

This is a discussion in progress at the moment.

A penny for your thoughts and ideas,

Walter "Wally" Padgett