Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Dynamic Address Translation - DAT ???

aniljpatel

« on: March 17, 2004, 09:11:14 PM »
Hi:

We are using sme6.0 server/gateway in wired/wireless hotspots configuration. One of the requirements (hotel franchise) is to provide a gateway whereby the user (guest) does not have to change/modify his/her laptop configuration - example if they have their own static private ip address, it should work..

All three classes of private network address (A, B, C) are to be supported.

I have tried several routing tricks (limited bandwidth) but am not able to make it work. I came across a turn key box - Nomadix's USG (they appear to have patented the Dynamic address translation). I think they are using ARP to address the users and map them to the gateway.

Is there a way to achieve DAT, using iptables/routing etc..

Thanks

-Anil

Offline Reinhold

• +0/-0
    • http://127.0.0.1
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 10:52:45 PM »
Aniljpatel,

!Patents are public knowledge !
Actually that once was the whole idea behind granting a patent...
the patent holder TEACHES something new,
then gets royalties in return.

Now is this what you are talking about ?
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,636,894.WKU.&OS=PN/6,636,894&RS=PN/6,636,894

Go have a look...that sounds awfully like dhcp'ing to a gateway that configures you as "paid internet user" afterwards ... but they have some examples where static ip's seem to be involved too.
Maybe you can get a cheap license .-)

Good luck

aniljpatel

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 02:02:16 AM »
Hi:

That is exactly what I was referring to. We have already solved the redirection to a authentication portal problem when the internal lan is using either a dhcp configuration or a static private ip address. However, the limitation is that the static private ip address must be in our subnet (using 192.168.x.x).

Like I mentioned before the requirement is that a mobile user can have static ip configuration of 10.6.32.100 etc and it should work transparently.

Nomadix product does support it - $3000 for the hardware appliance.

I was wondering if the static ip can be achieved by ip aliasing and routing tables...

-Anil

jcspercival

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 12:47:02 AM »
this service, saving time and effort on your behalf could you not just print out a how to connect sheet? and tell them to configure there network card to dhcp. hey all (well most) the companies and business' do it!

another option would be to give them a script to run?? which will just change their ip for the one logon session??

just thinking of oher ways it could be done.

the way you think of first might not allays be the simplest

good luck

let me know how you get on  :-)

aniljpatel

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 03:07:32 PM »
Hi:

We already have table tents alongwith 24/7 technical support to guide them in their configurarion. But, the franchise in their infinite wisdon mandated, this requirement - User should be able to access the internet without changing their ip settings on the PC.

My opinion is that, like you said, most business's and home users already have dhcp on anyway..

I will keep plugging away..

-Anil