Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

two server problem

bhairav

two server problem
« on: March 03, 2004, 05:05:55 AM »
i am using two sme 5.6 box one is for authentication server and another is for mail server. The scenario is that the 1st machine has and external IP as well as internal IP it is used in server and gateway:dedicated mode and second machine has onle internal IP and operating as server only mode.

I have created a simple php script for authentication of users and put in the 1st machine but after authentication of users it should be redirect to the webmail server with internal IP. It works well from the local network but fails from external network.

Below is the IPs of my servers

Server 1 ---
Internal IP - 192.168.0.1
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
External IP- 203.187.202.11
operating as dhcp as well

Server 2 ---
Internal IP - 192.168.0.2
subnet - 255.255.255.0

can anybody tell how can i do this
thanks in advance

Offline smeghead

• +0/-0
two server problem
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 04:49:07 PM »
.. you really need to provide more detail!

At a guess both systems are in the same domain, i.e. server1.mydomain.com & server2.mydomain.com

Turn off DHCP on server2 (the internal server)

Remove, rename, or delete host entries on each server that are not used or relevant.  Add each server to the other servers hosname list using the MAC address to lock each server to a static IP (as each relates to the other).

You could use ddclient on server2 to get the user credentials from server1 (and keep them in sync) if there are authenticated service required on each box.

bahirav

Re : two server problem
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 06:05:57 PM »
>you really need to provide more detail!

what other details i need to provide

>At a guess both systems are in the same domain, i.e. server1.mydomain.com & server2.mydomain.com

I have put both server in different domains but i can make it to single as you have said

>Turn off DHCP on server2 (the internal server)

Dhcp is already turn off in server 2

>Remove, rename, or delete host entries on each server that are not used or relevant. Add each server to the other servers hosname list using the MAC address to lock each server to a static IP (as each relates to the other).

I didnt understood how to do this can you please explain it.

>You could use ddclient on server2 to get the user credentials from server1 (and keep them in sync) if there are authenticated service required on each box.

only server 1 is used for authentication

thanks for you help

edward

two server problem
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 12:04:18 AM »
IP. It works well from the local network but fails from external network.

You are trying to access server 2 through the external interface (i.e. from the outside?)

That will not be possible unless
1. your users VPN in
2. you connect server 2 to the network
3. forward traffic from server 1 to server2
   i.e. port forward

Edward