Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

FIX for VPN PPTP Error 619 on Windows Client

pistonpilot

« on: February 26, 2004, 10:50:05 AM »
I hate Microsoft.  Not only does Windows suck, but it is prone to errors.  I've been plagued by the Error 619 half the time I try to VPN to one of my e-smith clients and I just figured out the fix.

The fix is easy - apply the current service pack for your windows product.  In my case I applied SP4 for Windows 2000 and that fixed it.  Simple as that.

The technical reasons for why the error is produced follows:

The Remote Access Service Security DLL Is Incorrectly Used to Authenticate Non-Modem Remote Access Connections
View products that this article applies to.
SYMPTOMS
When you create and install a custom Remote Access service security DLL on a Windows 2000 Server-based computer that is running the Routing and Remote Access service to authenticate remote users, the RAS security DLL may be incorrectly used to authenticate remote users who use a connection type other than a modem connection. For example, the Remote Access service security DLL is used to authenticate users who connect by using a Virtual Private Networking (VPN) connection. Because of this, VPN users may receive an "Error 619" error message when they try to access the server.
CAUSE
This problem occurs because Windows does not check the connection type before it calls the Remote Access service security DLL. Because of this, the Remote Access service security DLL is used for both modem and non-modem connections.
RESOLUTION
Service Pack Information
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

260910 How to Obtain the Latest Windows 2000 Service Pack
Hotfix Information
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows 2000 service pack that contains this fix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS
NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The typical support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The global version of this fix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.

Date         Time   Version        Size    File name
   -----------------------------------------------------
   20-Feb-2003  20:15  5.0.2195.6666  69,904  Mprddm.dll

Note Because of file dependencies, this update requires Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3).

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.
MORE INFORMATION
As of March 2003, Windows 2000 provides Remote Access service security host support for asynchronous modem connections only. The following other types of connections are not supported:

* Ethernet, which is not a modem connection.
    * VPN, which is not a modem connection.
    * ISDN, which is a synchronous connection.

For more information about Remote Access service security host support and the Remote Access service security DLL, view the Remote Access service Security Host Support topic in the Remote Access Service section of the Microsoft Platform SDK documentation. To view this documentation, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/rras/rras/ras_start_page.asp
The information in this article applies to:

* Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    * Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Last Reviewed:   6/25/2003 (3.0)
Keywords:   kbWin2kSP4fix kbnetwork kberrmsg kbenv kbprb kbQFE kbWin2000preSP4Fix kbfix kbbug KB815182

http://www.pc-man.com

Offline PhoeniX

• +0/-0
Re: FIX for VPN PPTP Error 619 on Windows Client
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 03:26:13 PM »
Quote from: "pistonpilot"
I've been plagued by the Error 619 half the time I try to VPN to one of my e-smith clients and I just figured out the fix.

I've been trying to VPN to my SME 6.0 from my Windows XP Pro and also get the 619-error.
XP Pro fully patched!

Offline wyron

• +0/-0
    • http://www.ideast.dk
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 03:57:00 PM »
Quote from: "PhoeniX"
I've been trying to VPN to my SME 6.0 from my Windows XP Pro and also get the 619-error.
XP Pro fully patched!

You probably need to start one or more RAS-services on your 'XBox'.
Greetings
wyron

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 04:23:31 PM »
Quote from: "wyron"
You probably need to start one or more RAS-services on your 'XBox'.

Why? It work great with 5.1.2 and 5.6!

Offline wyron

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 04:52:58 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

Why? It work great with 5.1.2 and 5.6!

Well, it did for me too.
If you browse the fora, you get x entries lamenting the fact that 6.0 doesn't work the same way.
This thread, however, is the first to fully explain the MS-part of the problem.
I haven't succeded in getting a VPN-connection up yet, but at least I got away from the 619-error, just by activating the RAS-services in the services-panel of W2KSp4.
So . . it's fairly safe to say that the same cure might be applied to an M$ X(P)box.
Right, my anonymous friend ?
Greetings
wyron

bobk

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 01:33:59 AM »

So . . it's fairly safe to say that the same cure might be applied to an M$ X(P)box.

I agree with wyron. I have no problems with VPN connections from my XPpro workstation to any of my client's SME 6.0.1-01 servers.

On the XPpro box I have both "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager" and "Remote Access Connection Manager" services running. These serices are set to manual by default.

Offline PhoeniX

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 04:47:44 PM »

Okay!

I've found my solution; in 6.0 you have to edit the useraccount administrator and give him te right make a VPN-connection.

Sorry, but every visit I have to login again..

sspfunk

pptp in 6.0
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 08:06:45 PM »
well, I have Windows2000, updated to Service Pack 4, and it will not vpn into a 6.0 or 6.0.1-01 server.
It will work to 5.5 or even to a 5.6 box i got running, but it will not work to 6.0.
YMMV

steve

Offline wyron

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 09:13:58 PM »

Okay!

I've found my solution; in 6.0 you have to edit the useraccount administrator and give him te right make a VPN-connection.

Been there, done that - no dice !
Sorry, but every visit I have to login again..

Yeah, it's rather annoying, isn't it.
Greetings
wyron

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 08:36:52 PM »
How many of you are connecting to a network that's behind an SME server from another network that's behind an SME server? I've found that the issue is when you are trying to VPN through two SME servers. If you have one SME and you're going through a Linksys router at home, it should work. But if you are behind an SME server and connecting to, say home, where you have another SME server as your firewall, that's where there's random stability.

Hope this helps!

Offline psc

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 08:17:12 AM »
The Windows updates don't work, i got the error in serveral conditions (behind SME, and "direct").
It must be in SME.
First, solve the problem. Then, write the code.

Offline jdness

• +0/-0
    • http://www.wd9adi.com
intermittent access
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 09:33:41 PM »
I usually connect to my home sme box from work that has a sme box running a lab network from a dsl line.  So I do run thru one sme to another and have intermittent connections.  One thing I have found, if you are connected and then loose your connection I don't seem to be able to get back in.  I have rebooted the remote end and then I get in again.  I don't know if I am getting a process hung or what.  I think as long as I can disconnect properly it will continue to work.  Anyone have any ideas about any settings to try and change?

greg allt

I'm fighting this same daemon
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 03:50:18 AM »
situation

dlink router on local end
e-smith 6.0 on the remote (vpn end)

workstations
* one xp home machine
* one xp pro
* 2 windows 2000

XP Home can connect to the SME server
as can the windows 2000 boxes

the xp pro machine begins to connect, seems to authenticate but takes forever to register on the remote network and finally times out.

for what it is worth....
the xp pro machine also connects directly to the sme box on occasion - it is a laptop and is carried between the two networks

don't know if this is a clue or not[/list]

greg allt

ps ....
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 03:57:42 AM »
xp pro (the one that won't connect) is completely up to date with it's patches while the XP home has 3 critical updates that need to be applied

kraz

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 11:35:28 AM »
Okay!

Exactly what do you mean? Please explain it with more words! I  really need a solution to this problem...

Offline Lowell Fuher

• +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2004, 11:09:19 PM »
I too get the 619 error regularly.

Have read through and tried the FIX items that would apply to my particular applications (window XP Pro) - so far no help.
I have two SME 6.0 boxes I can connect to (attempt to) from my 3rd box at home.  Box one at main office I have connected to from time to time, but not consistently - box 2 at my sattelite office (very very fresh install - last week) I can connect to from home at will - am connected to it now.  The box at the main office was originally a e-smith 4.3 install that migrated to 5.6 and then to 6.03 beta and 6.0 final.  Can not connect from sattelite office to main office.  Can not connect from home to main office - (but remember, I have from time to time).  CAN connect from home to sattelite office.  Wondering what the 4.3 to 6.0 migration may have had a part to play in all this.
Would consider reloading a fresh install on the main office box if it weren't for the fact that it is a busy working office of 50+ users.
Just burnt the latest contribs CD 6.0.1 - may give it a try.
Thoughts??????
Moe.....................

Offline brianr

• +2/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2004, 02:32:26 PM »
I have 4 different SME Servers that i VPN to, all from an XP Pro laptop behind my 6.0final SMEserver.  One is 5.5, one is 5.6, one is 6.0final and one is 6.0.1.

I am finding that if a VPN request fails for some reason (perhaps the Ip address is wrong - soe of then change), then further VPN requests to other servers also fail.  As soon as I re-boot XP/Pro, then things seem to work again.

However i am getting a "hang" after a few seconds on the VPN to the 6.0.1 box, it lets me log in using Putty, and as soon as I send a command that asks for more that a line or two of output, the command box hangs, although the VPN still seems to be up (and i can create a new putty session).  Also happens when I try to use webmail or Server manager.

Cheers

Brian
Brian j Read
(retired, for a second time, still got 2 installations though)
The instrument I am playing is my favourite Melodeon.

Offline percheron

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 06:32:04 PM »
Brian,
I am curious if your server is Intel-based or AMD-based. I have had a lot of problems with pptp VPN's on SME 6.0 using AMD cpu's. The same hardware worked fine under 5.5, but building a new AMD server from scratch with 6.0 has always resulted in failures with pptp for me. I have a couple of Intel-based servers that work fine.

Maybe it's a problem with the kernel, but I don't know where to start to fix it.

Thanks,
jim