Howard Bloom

VPN Error 619 while trying to connect to 6.0 Server from W2k
« on: December 02, 2003, 09:10:53 AM »
Setup:

SME 6.0 Server at Client Site
SME 6.0 Server at Home.
Both Sites updated.  Both Sites Server-Gateway mode
W2K Laptop at home.

I get the 619 error   Error 619, "The port was disconnected." when I try to connect PPTP using W2k built in VPN connection to server at client site.  It gets to the point where it connects to the server but it does not get to the point where it verify's the username and password.  It hangs up.

Here is the rub.  I also have a SPRINT 3G PCMCIA Card and connection through Sprint's network.  When I connect to Sprints network and it matters not whether I disconnect from my cable connection that my SME 6.0 is connected to or not, I am able to connect through Sprints Aircard connection, but not through my cablem modem, specifically not through my 6.0 server.

I can connect to both home and my client site at the same time so long as I am on the Sprint network, or someone elses network, in other words not behind another SME server.

Here is all that was listed on Microsoft's Technet.  It doesn't help since I'm not running active directory and AD should have no effect on a connection to a SME server.

I looked at all the posts concerning 619 errors on this forum and others and they were no help.

"Error 619" or "Error 645" Error Message When You Attempt to Connect to RRAS Server
View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q314485
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to connect to a Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 or Microsoft Windows 2000-based Routing and Remote Access Services (RRAS) server through a dial-up or virtual private network (VPN) connection, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Error 619, "The port was disconnected."

-or-

Error 645, "Dial-Up Networking could not complete the connection to the server."
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the RRAS server is joined to a Windows 2000 domain. If the RRAS server is not properly added to the Active Directory, client connections are not possible.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, register the RRAS server in the Active Directory.

For additional information about RRAS in Active Directory, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

227747 Routing and Remote Access Server Stops Authenticating Dial-Up Networking Clients
The information in this article applies to:

* Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
    * Microsoft Windows XP Professional

ryan

Re: VPN Error 619 while trying to connect to 6.0 Server from
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 04:27:40 AM »
Howard,

I think your problem is sme.  I have several sme 5.6 servers in my agency and all have the same problem without outgoing pptp vpn connections.  I have found that a reboot of sme always will correct the error 619.  I have not nailed down the issue that causes the problem, but I believe it is related to either:

-Using your windows box and another pptp connection

-Using another windows box on the lan to another or the same pptp connection

I have found that if I am able to connect pptp vpn, I will be able to repeat a successfull connection in the short term...when I come back at a later date, I can't connect pptp on the first attempt and get error 619.

When at work, I never get this error when I use my IPCop server as my gateway.  I also never get error 619 when using a linksys router at remote sites...only when behind sme do I get 619.  I am always connecting to a sme pptp vpn server, not a microsoft server (I don't allow MS servers to be on the internet).  So...thats what I know, I wish I could nail down this issue, but I have become comfortable with a sme reboot to get pptp vpn working if necessary.

ryan

Howard Bloom

Re: VPN Error 619 while trying to connect to 6.0 Server from
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 09:12:56 AM »
You're right, the problem is the SME server.  My server has no problems, yet my clients server has issues with VPN.  Maybe it is because it is Verizon DSL - it could be possible that they are blocking VPN tunnels inbound.  My client has the lowest tier business DSL with dynamic DNS.

I tried connecting tonight from my father's house.  He also has Verizon DSL - home variety.  I cleanly connected to my Home SME 6 box but got the same 619 error on the clients SME 6.0.

ryan wrote:

> Howard,
>
> I think your problem is sme.  I have several sme 5.6 servers
> in my agency and all have the same problem without outgoing
> pptp vpn connections.  I have found that a reboot of sme always
> will correct the error 619.  I have not nailed down the issue
> that causes the problem, but I believe it is related to
> either:
>
> -Using your windows box and another pptp connection
>
> -Using another windows box on the lan to another or the same
> pptp connection
>
> I have found that if I am able to connect pptp vpn, I will be
> able to repeat a successfull connection in the short
> term...when I come back at a later date, I can't connect pptp
> on the first attempt and get error 619.
>
> When at work, I never get this error when I use my IPCop
> server as my gateway.  I also never get error 619 when using a
> linksys router at remote sites...only when behind sme do I get
> 619.  I am always connecting to a sme pptp vpn server, not a
> microsoft server (I don't allow MS servers to be on the
> internet).  So...thats what I know, I wish I could nail down
> this issue, but I have become comfortable with a sme reboot to
> get pptp vpn working if necessary.
>
> ryan

Stuart

Error 619
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 09:50:09 AM »
Were you able to fix the error 619 problem. I have two sme boxes ,one on each of my two adsl conections, one at work one at home. I can from a Win 2K box VPN from home into the work sme box but the other way I recieve the Error 619. It has got me a little stumped so I have installed SME on another machine as a fresh install to try it tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed but am not confident.

Stuart
javascript:emoticon(':pint:')

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
VPN Error 619 while trying to connect to 6.0 Server from W2k
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 11:02:54 PM »
On SME 6 server make sure that user have VPN access enabled. It has changed since the earlier versions and now it is disabled by default.

pistonpilot

Turn off PPTPD
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 08:35:21 AM »
The fix is simple.  

#service pptpd stop

You can't VPN out through an Linux box running PPTP.  

On your machines giving you the 619 error, run Service Pack on your windows machines.  

I've solved 98 percent of my VPN issues this way.

bobk

Re: Turn off PPTPD
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 12:48:52 AM »
Quote from: "pistonpilot"
The fix is simple.  

#service pptpd stop

You can't VPN out through an Linux box running PPTP.  

I disagree with the statement about the pptp service. I run 5.6 in gateway-server mode at work and home. Both servers have pptpd enabled. I am able to VPN in either direction without any problems.

Workstation at work = WinXP Pro ver 5.1.2600 build 2600

Workstation at home = W2K Pro ver 5.02195 SP 4 build 2195