Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Cron <root@*****> /etc/startmail strange mails?

Offline smitti

• +0/-0
    • http://smitti.mine.nu
« on: April 14, 2006, 09:46:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

I just went  from sme6.5 to sme7rc1 and now i am getting weird mails from the cron deamon. they are not on a regular basis and I get about 12 of these mails in one day.

they look like this :
Code: [Select]
#*********************.*****************.*******************.*****************************.***************************
.**********************.************************.************************.*********************.**************************

the only contrib I do have installed from the beginning is fetchmail.

does someone have a clue?

Peter

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Cron <root@*****> /etc/startmail strange mails?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 09:57:39 PM »
Quote from: "smitti"

the only contrib I do have installed from the beginning is fetchmail.

does someone have a clue?

Fetchmail is configured for verbose logging.

chrisss27

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 09:11:47 PM »
I have just started receiving the same emails on sme 6, I have run fetchmail for a while with no problems and haven’t made any changes, can anyone help

Chris

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 09:49:01 AM »
Quote from: "CharlieBrady"
Fetchmail is configured for verbose logging.
I have the same thing... is there a way to lower the level or disable the logging for fetchmail?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 01:25:01 AM »
Quote from: "cactus"
is there a way to lower the level or disable the logging for fetchmail?

Yes, and it's documented in the troubleshooting FAQ.  Searching here for "/etc/startmail" would have found you that article, as the first hit.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 11:53:27 AM »
Quote from: "CharlieBrady"
Quote from: "cactus"
is there a way to lower the level or disable the logging for fetchmail?

Yes, and it's documented in the troubleshooting FAQ.  Searching here for "/etc/startmail" would have found you that article, as the first hit.
Thanks Charlie! I know I need to search first, but I did the exact search you suggested and my eye first fell on this thread that also comes up, which looked far more prommissing to me than the link to the Troubleshoot FAQ. Sorry!
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 06:41:38 AM »
I'm now having this exact problem and with the reorganization I can't find the "Troubleshooting FAQ" with the solution.  I'm sure it's my own stupidity, and I'm admitting same here, but ... where is the answer?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 12:26:27 AM »
Quote from: "MSmith"
I'm now having this exact problem and with the reorganization I can't find the "Troubleshooting FAQ" with the solution.  I'm sure it's my own stupidity, and I'm admitting same here, but ... where is the answer?
The FAQ is currently offline as they are moving content to a new site and new architecture. Watch the forums as they will reappear, they promissed to send a notification to the foum.

edit: removed typo