Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

qmail auth problem

jor70

qmail auth problem
« on: February 16, 2004, 06:29:16 PM »
Everything worked fine until I sent a message from my host to a rcpt handled by own ISP's mail server
I got 530 response (authentication required for mail submission) over and over.
So, I talked to my ISP's support and they told me they were using SMTP auth.
Conclussion, I needed to configure my mail server to authenticate to send a message to a rcpt handled by them because I was sending from an IP inside
 my IP subnet.

Is there a way to do this? Can I configure qmail to send user/passwd pair before sending a mail to a particular smtp server?

Offline wyron

• +0/-0
    • http://www.ideast.dk
qmail auth problem
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 09:20:10 PM »
Why would you be using your isp's SMTP, when you have a perfectly capable SMTP-server already built-in in your SME-Server/Gateway ?
Greetings
wyron

Anonymous

qmail auth problem
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 09:27:42 PM »
Quote from: "wyron"
Why would you be using your isp's SMTP, when you have a perfectly capable SMTP-server already built-in in your SME-Server/Gateway ?

Sorry, perhaps I was not too clear
Im not using my isp's smtp, I'm using my qmail of my sme 6 and works fine. except when I sent mails to users of my isp's subnet
when my qmail try to connect to my isp's its get a 530 error,  auth required  

:cry:  :cry:

Offline wyron

• +0/-0
qmail auth problem
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 09:49:12 PM »
Now I'm really intrigued.
Why on earth should qmail connect to your isp's mail-subnet ?
Just fire the guns (read: mails) and damn the torpedoes.
Am I being daft here, or do you have a special setup I simply can't conceive of ?
(I have taken it for granted that you run your own mailserver in your own domain)
Greetings
wyron

jor70

qmail auth problem
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 10:06:03 PM »
Am I being daft here, or do you have a special setup I simply can't conceive of ?
(I have taken it for granted that you run your own mailserver in your own domain)

I think im using a "normal" server-gateway sme 6 box
 with none smtp fwd set on server-manager

this is what I get when I send a mail to a user of my same internet provider domain

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at server.myhome.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

Connected to 24.232.0.160 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 530 authentication required for mail submission

Offline wyron

• +0/-0
qmail auth problem
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 12:01:53 AM »
Well I'll be .....
You're not on a dial-up connection. Everything could be explained if you were, but since you can mail anybody but subscribers with your own isp., I am at a loss.
I've just gone over my own e-mail settings, but that doesn't help, since you've already implied that you haven't delegated other mail-servers, and of course you haven't enabled a secondary mail-server with your isp.
So again, I'm at a loss.
I don't understand your isp's setup.
I simply don't get it.
Might I propose a simple test ?
Give me the address of one of your rcpt's and I'll mail him/her with nothing but a subject line, saying: Testmail on behalf of jor70.
If I'm bounced, your isp is at fault. If not, there must be something fishy in your mail-setup.
It's the best I can do right now, or rather tomorrow since its midnight here, and I'm off to bed shortly.
Greetings
wyron

Offline psc

• +0/-0
qmail auth problem
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 07:15:52 AM »
Hi,
i have a smtp-auth solution, if you want to send ALL your outgoing mail via smtp-auth and your isp´s mailserver.

Due to the qmail license conditions, it´s not allowed to  
store this e.g. at contribs.org.

Send me a mail, if you want and i send it out.

Peter
First, solve the problem. Then, write the code.

pistonpilot

qmail auth problem
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 07:53:18 AM »
I am using Comcast Cable and I have dynamic IP.  I upload all my mail to Comcast's SMPT server.  I can send mail to 60 percent of the recipients, the other 40 percent will reject my mail for relaying - 550 error because there is a database that knows I'm using a dynamic IP.  

If I paid for a static IP address I could use my own smtp server built in.

Offline wyron

• +0/-0
qmail auth problem
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 10:07:18 PM »
Thats the problem pinpointed, then.
Sorry - I know nothing about that kind of setup, since I have always used my own mailserver through a fixed ip.
Sorry again - you'll have to look elsewhere for help on that issue. I call in my chips.
Greetings
wyron

abrown

qmail auth problem
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 06:39:53 PM »
SMTP blocking or filtering is now a common situation for residential broadband (DSL/cable) in the US -- both at the receiving end (filtering dynamic IPs at MTA) and at the originating end (ISP's router filters block outgoing SMTP to IPs other than its own).  The longstanding e-Smith support for an upstream SMTP server is fine for these situations.  However, Verizon's DSL service now requires SMTP authentication at their upstream SMTP server.  I think this applies to both residential and business DSL service.   Their instructions on mail configuration address only common MUAs for Windows;  since you are not supposed to use an e-Smith server as an MTA behind the DSL modem to distribute service internally, your problem does not exist so far as they are concerned.  This is what they have told a nonprofit organization client of mine. I'm trying to find a solution keeping e-Smith and qmail as MTA -- apparently Sendmail has an answer, but I'd have to configure a RedHat or similar server and would lose the great server-manager user controls.

I've been trying to find an indication of work on qmail support for upstream SMTP authentication but so far have had no luck.  (It must exist;  this can't be the first time this has been such a pain in the neck.)  If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate an email or even phone call -- reach me at "abrown at msg dot com" or find the phone number at "www dot msg dot com".

Thanks -

Alex Brown

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
new EXTENDED qmail
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 12:53:50 PM »
And what about to patch qmail (with smtp relay authenticated, found on sourceforge) and build a web page (or modify the e-mail one) to allow enter user & pwd when doing relay?

I heard somewhere (in the web) that qmail can be patched but not called qmail anymore. So I suggest a creation of EQmail (extended qmail)!!

I have found a couple of patches for qmail on sourceforge... maybe it's time to create EQMAIL! :)

msoulier

qmail auth problem
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2004, 06:52:18 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

Sorry, perhaps I was not too clear
Im not using my isp's smtp, I'm using my qmail of my sme 6 and works fine. except when I sent mails to users of my isp's subnet
when my qmail try to connect to my isp's its get a 530 error,  auth required  

This is a common setup for braindead ISPs. Rogers is similar. SMTP auth is often required as a spam-blocking measure.

While qmail has nothing built-in to handle this, we have an experimental proxy built-in to some recent dev packages.

Grab the latest e-smith-email from the devel directory of any e-smith mirror. Check its requires and make sure you have those too, which should also be available there.

ie. rpm -qp --requires <rpm package file>

After you install them, run /etc/e-smith/events/actions/initialize-default-databases. You should now have a new record in your configuration db called smtp-auth-proxy.

Using the email panel, put your ISP's mail server in the field for "Address of Internet provider's mail server", and save. Then, from the command-line, do the following:

/sbin/e-smith/config setprop smtp-auth-proxy Userid <userid>
/sbin/e-smith/config setprop smtp-auth-proxy Passwd <passwd>
/sbin/e-smith/config setprop smtp-auth-proxy Debug enabled
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event email-update

The auth proxy should now be running on port 26 locally. Try sending an email, and you should see the smtp conversation with your ISP's mail server in /var/log/smtp-auth-proxy/current.

If you have any problems, please let me know. Also, this is "use at your own risk" code. While I know it works from testing it elsewhere, you have been warned that it is still alpha code.

Mike

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
qmail auth problem
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2004, 01:46:31 PM »
Thanks by your reply.
I downloaded e-smith-email rpm and a few updated rpms.
But I saw :
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1

on requires... and don´t know anything about them!
I have an SME test server...I can do several tests (5.6 and 6.0 and 6.01 if you wish)... just tell me how to! :)

msoulier

qmail auth problem
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 04:11:14 AM »
Quote from: "jader"
Thanks by your reply.
I downloaded e-smith-email rpm and a few updated rpms.
But I saw :
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1

on requires... and don´t know anything about them!
I have an SME test server...I can do several tests (5.6 and 6.0 and 6.01 if you wish)... just tell me how to! :)

Those are satisfied by rpm itself, not to worry.

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

If you've satisfied the dependencies, they'll install. If not, they won't.

Mike

SynUK

qmail auth problem
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2004, 12:32:49 AM »
As I am having the same problem as above ( my ISP requires me to logon to send via SMTP ), I have tried this solution. I havn't install any additional packages as my install log says that e-smith-email-4.14.0-07 is installed. After running all the commands listed, i don't have a smtp-auth-proxy directory, but if i look at the smtpfront-qmail log ( or something like that ! ) it is still failing to authorise the SMTP. I am running SME server V6.0.1 Does this make any difference or am i doing something stupid. Thanks.