Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

MythTV - AMAZING!

pete

MythTV - AMAZING!
« on: January 30, 2004, 02:39:57 PM »
http://www.mythtv.org

Anyone tried or successfully installed this on esmtih, seems it would be a perfect addition ot a home SME install - check out the screenshots and features, its mind lowing how good this is...

ergozd

It requires X
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 07:00:25 PM »
Hi there!

I've read about this a few months ago and made an installtion on an older PC. It reauires X and Qt so trying this on an e-smith is probably "out of scope".

duncan

MythTV - AMAZING!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 07:37:03 AM »
Been running it for the past 4 months on a separate machine.

On the SME - forget it. Even as a backend it would be a nightmare to get running.

Great software though. Blows away anything from the MS world.

Duncan

ergozd

Try KnoppMyth distro
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 07:25:01 PM »
Why don't you try KnoppMyth. It is a Knoppix based distro with MythTV.

You will find more info at http://mysettopbox.tv

excalibur

It MUST be feasible - Perfect Add-On for SME-Server at home
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 06:41:24 PM »
Hi,

I am in the middle of implementing my own home theatre PC HTPC for short. And in this process I have been around MythTV (the KnoppMythTV distro). It worked right out of the box.

I was doing this on an 1GHz P3, 512  MB RAM. This was super responsive and gave a good usability.

The nice thing about the MythTV solution however is that you get a client-server setup. Both a frontend (GUI from any Linux box with X) and a backend (can reside at a server without X).

Now I was thinking that instead of running both my SME-server in the office AND the new media-server in the livingroom. Why not consolidate things and build a proper and slick looking system with the MythTV backend running from the SME box in the closet networked with an XBOX as a frontend using the XBMC solution!   8-)

To begin with the XBOX (old one) was designed to run quiet and cool with great design, which is perfect for the WAF (wife acceptance factor)!   ;-)

It would really be a nice and userfriendly setup.

In this process I was around the MediaPortal for Windows, which is far inferior in response and stability compared to the MythTV solution, with my HW. It IS very beatifull in the Userinterface. But what the heck.   :-(

So in short I would love if anyone here would like to concuct a usable 'Howto turn your SME-Server into a MediaCentre - using MythTV and XBOX frontends'

See info here:
XBOX conversion
http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft_xbox/article/how_to_go_from_xbox_to_xbox_media_center_in_30_minutes.html

MythTV: (see Pete's link above)

I am not skilled enough with Linux to do deeper operations than follow 'HowTos'. So writing one is out my grasp. I would love to test a Howto though...      :-D

BR

Morten
Phone +45 4098 0898     (if anyone could be interested)

Offline slords

• +3/-0
Re: MythTV - AMAZING!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 09:42:52 PM »
Quote from: "pete"
Anyone tried or successfully installed this on esmtih, seems it would be a perfect addition ot a home SME install - check out the screenshots and features, its mind lowing how good this is...

I've been running it on sme 6.x and now on sme 7.0p3 for a number of years.  It is a little tricky to setup but it can be done.  Best to set it up on a centos 4.2 or fedora core 4 box first and become familiar with it.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline Arnie

• +0/-0
  • Old Dog, New Tricks.
MythTV - AMAZING!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 08:03:52 AM »
Slords,

What was tricky about the installation? I'm running MythTV on a FC3 box at the moment and I've been thinking about migrating the backend to my SME server so I don't need to run 2 machines 24/7.

I'm guessing the backend won't need any X or QT libraries. All I need is a kernel >2.6.12 so my DViCo cards will be recognised.

If you have any tips/anecdotes to share, please post them, as I'm sure you'll have an audience.

Offline meanpenguin

• +0/-0
MythTV - AMAZING!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »
Hi,

Anyone have the latest "ivtv" modules compiled for SME 7p4?
I would really appreciate a copy if you have...

Edward

deznuts

Me too
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 12:05:25 AM »
Been running a knopmyth box for several months now . . . I would love to move the backend functionality over to my more powerful (and spacious) sme7 box. Maybe a howto is in order?

stbecker

MythTV - AMAZING!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 11:15:04 PM »
Anyone figure out how to do this?  There's some basic notes out there, but I can't seem to find enough info to get it all working.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
MythTV - AMAZING!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 07:10:14 AM »
I don't have it installed on SME, but I think this is the best place to start:
http://atrpms.net/dist/common/mythtv-suite/

atrpms has rpms for RHEL4, which will install on SME7.

Offline dede77b

• +0/-0
MythTV - AMAZING!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 05:05:30 PM »
Quote from: "gregswallow"

Someone have tried this solution or has any news about MithTv on a sme server?

Any how-to would be great!

duncan

MythTV - AMAZING!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 07:17:24 AM »
Quote from: "dede77b"
Quote from: "gregswallow"

Someone have tried this solution or has any news about MithTv on a sme server?

Any how-to would be great!

Installing Mythtv on SME_Server is dead simple. I have made a few notes here (slow site). They are really out of date but should clear up a few issues for you.

SME makes an ideal base for Mythtv. It is stable, Most of the installation can be done with yum, and things like Mysql and Apache just work out of the box.

You will need to recompile the kernel however. Not all that hard.

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
MythTV - AMAZING!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 07:46:23 AM »
Quote from: "duncan"

You will need to recompile the kernel however. Not all that hard.

Would the Centos Plus kernel work ?
Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

duncan

MythTV - AMAZING!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 08:00:44 AM »
Quote from: "william_syd"

Would the Centos Plus kernel work ?

No probs. However - the current centos kernel for SME has no support for v4l or dvb devices - either built in or as a module.

You can download the current drivers and build them or recompile the kernel.

I opted for a straight 2.6.18 kernel and built that instead. This however breaks masq and pptp - but it`s a mythtv box so I`m not really worried.