Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Mutiple DCs

pete

Mutiple DCs
« on: February 02, 2004, 02:55:15 PM »
I wish to use SME on 2 servers, running a mixture of apps, some requiring user authentication - eg win2k domain logins, webmail, ftp, home shares, www, etc

How can i sync these machines to act as DC+DC or PDC/BDC? It doesnt not have to be a server-manager contrib type thing, just a method to get it working?

I dont think i can migrate all the existing services on to one box - unless it was just as easy to run 2 boxes doing exactly the ame job in fail over or cluster type mode?

Is any of the above possible, to work reliably in production?

I have 2 x Compaq ML370 512mb/p866 single CPU machinesl, both have smart array RAID5 -
1. will SME work on these machines.
2. will they do up to 400 users, never more than 45 concurrent? Users doing a mixture of light FTP/home share/printing/domain logon/webmail (no win32 mail clients)/small intranet? Just in regards to load? As for good practise i dont want all of this on machine...

Tymiles

PDC's
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 10:45:13 PM »
This is not a default function of samba 2 and does not work very well. As far as I know you would have to repeat the services on each machine, and repeat the user accounts.

If you have used samba for sometime then you could make custom templates and using those make changes to the default samba install so you can get it to work the way you want it to.
Also I have seen some other How-To's for high availability so that you can replicate services across more then one server. I don't know if that will help you.

The machines you mention below will work for the amount of users you have. I think it will also work on those machines, but I would try it first to make sure the firmware for your Raid controlers is up to date and will work with e-smith.

Tymiles

PDC
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 02:48:05 AM »

pete

Mutiple DCs
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 03:27:46 AM »
That is VERY handy reading - thank you VERY much!