Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

100% fuss-free AppleShare support

Daniele Procida

100% fuss-free AppleShare support
« on: October 11, 2003, 05:36:17 PM »
There are two things which would SME server much more satisfactory from my point of view, both related to AppleShare: I need a server which I can access from a remote site using a variety of Mac OS versions, using AppleShare to mount remote disks and perform backups to them.

1. In SME 6.0, it is no longer possible to add local networks to allow access from elsewhere on the Internet. this decision has been taken in the interests of security. I would like to see this re-enabled (even if it has to be accompanied by numerous security warnings from the server manager).

2. Copying files to columes shared by netatalk from a Mac (using Mac OS X) often fails when the operation encounters certain filenames. Some of this is probably Mac OS X's fault, not netatalk's, but I'd like it to just work.

Daniele

Paul

Re: 100% fuss-free AppleShare support
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 11:34:35 AM »
Daniele said:

1. In SME 6.0, it is no longer possible to add local networks to allow access from elsewhere on the Internet. this decision has been taken in the interests of security. I would like to see this re-enabled (even if it has to be accompanied by numerous security warnings from the server manager).

Daniele,

Read this entire thread, it might help you out on this problem:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=18730.msg73846#msg73846

Good luck,

Paul