Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

-Two- admin accounts

Jane

-Two- admin accounts
« on: October 17, 2002, 03:29:19 AM »
In a nutshell:

- One that can -only- shutdown SME Server (but
   can't re-configure it or change the admin password)

- Another (the traditional 'admin' account) "full-featured"
   administrator acc't that can do all things...

Simple, eh?  :-)

Bill Talcott

Re: -Two- admin accounts
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2002, 06:27:23 PM »
http://www.dungog.net/sme/howto/delegate.php will allow you to give individual users access to some or all of the Server Manager functions.

Aaron

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2002, 10:15:03 PM »
I was just thinking of this to myself yesterday!

I have a client that is hard to get to and support so I want to provide the means of 1) Reboot/Shutdown and 2) Test Internet up or not.

At great risk I leave the server at the console Admin Menu for them to use that but I do not want to have them mucking with the Configure Server menu option.

I would like a 3rd console option in the setup page: Login, Admin Menu (current), and a new Limited Menu.

Aaron

Jáder Marasca

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2002, 10:11:09 PM »
Maybe this is the better option (or the less worst).

For Bill Talcot, if all he need is to be able to shutdown server, he could try to change CTRL+ALT+DEL sequence on bash to shutdown server. So anyone could to shutdown server using the magic three key sequence (as today is already allowded!)

But Aaron aprouch is better but I think it can take so much to implement that never will see it working.

Aaron wrote:

> I would like a 3rd console option in the setup page: Login,
> Admin Menu (current), and a new Limited Menu.

Bill Talcott

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2002, 05:11:21 PM »
http://www.dungog.net/sme/howto/delegate.php lets you create a "limited" Server Manager for each user. I know it's not a limited console, but it should allow the same things and more from a web interface (I know I'd rather have my users looking at a webpage than actually messing with the SME itself). The only time it wouldn't work is if the local connection was down.

I'm not trying to knock your idea, I just think it would add a lot of complication (you'd have to have a place to configure what's on the "limited" menu, and once you got used to that you'd probably want a second version with other options, etc.), and that everything you're asking for can already be done with the web interface, and easily personalized for each user. Give Joe the ability to do backup stuff. Give Bob the ability to create new users. Give Pete the ability to install updates and reboot.