Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Remote administration and console access

Steve Hiner (again)

Remote administration and console access
« on: July 22, 1999, 01:35:02 AM »
Thank you for the quick response, if only there were more companies that responded so quickly.  One last question, will v3.0 support remote administration via dial-in.  In other words will I be able to dial into the server and do administration from home through the console?  I realize there is a security risk involved in setting it to auto-answer but I could have someone in the office switch it over for just the time I need to dial in and fix things.

I have to admit I have one more question that isn't answered in the documentation - can I get console access to the server?  I noticed that I can Alt-F2 to the login prompt but the Admin login didn't work and neither did a root login with the default Admin password.

Thanks again, I'll try to shut-up now.

Kim Morrison

Re: Remote administration and console access
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 1999, 02:11:52 AM »
REMOTE ACCESS FOR DIAL-ON-DEMAND INSTALLATIONS:   Thanks for the follow up post, Steve!  In version 3.0, there is a way for you to enable telnet login to the server.  However, telnet is a security risk.  We would recommend, you have someone in your office temporarily enable telnet on the server while you need to log in remotely (this would also be a little easier if you have a static IP address).  Another alternative would be to install an SSH server on the e-smith server and an SSH client on your remote machine (see previous post here in bboard for more info on that).  And, as you say, because you have a dial-on-demand installation, you would also need to have your co-worker in the office force the server to dial into the ISP so that you are connected to the internet. (If you know how to configure your Linux system to auto-answer the phone, you could set that up yourself...).

Kim Morrison

Re: Remote administration and console access
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 1999, 02:13:38 AM »
CONSOLE ACCESS:  You should set the system password using the web-based interface.  At that point, you should be able to log in to the console using the admin or root account with that same password.  Virtual consoles 3 through 6 will give you a log in prompt.  Good luck!  Kim