Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Large file Support

Mike

Large file Support
« on: February 07, 2002, 03:09:29 PM »
Hi all

I searched through the forums but the only question about large file support from derek loewen appears to be unanswered as far as I could see.
I have the same problem.
I would like to use the E-Smith Server as a Backup/Installation server but I also run into the 2Gbyte limitation. I test a lot of systems and would like to store Ghost-images on the E-Smith Server so I am able to pump another configuration on a client in a very short time from a single dos-bootflop. The Ghost Images exceed the 2Gbyte limt in many cases. Also a backupfile of my Windows 2000 Clients exceed this limit more than ones. That's why I would like to post this wish for large file support. Windows NTFS support's large files and I know that Linux has that capability too. My knowledge about Linux still very limited so I do not know what kind of Linux filesystem does support it and why it is not used in E-Smith.
You probably have a good reason for it.
I just hope you people at E-Smith read this and think, he is right, this is a bigger limitation than we thought and build large file support in the E-Smith Server shortly.

I really love this server and considering that I am a real Windows man (specially for desktopsystems) because of the compatibility, this is a big complement.
I know thow that Serversolutions with Linux are much more stabile that windows Systems and the E-Smith Server is simple to install, restore and configure (if you don't have to go to a terminal prompt to configure things that are not put in the server-manager).

Keep up the good work guys