Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Webmail

Dan Brown

Webmail
« on: July 31, 2000, 07:13:21 PM »
For those who have been asking for web-based e-mail on e-smith, you may be interested in this.  I have a preliminary set of RPMs available for download at http://users3.50megs.com/danb35 which will implement a nice, full-featured web-based e-mail system in e-smith 4.0 final.  I haven't tested them exhaustively, but they seem to work well so far.

Mike Stoddart

RE: Webmail
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2000, 09:59:52 PM »
What exactly is "Horde"? I know what the web mail part is, but in the config screens it mentions the directory /home/e-smith/files/primary/html/horde.

Also, how safe are these RPMs? I want to install the PHPNuke software to place in my primary html directory.

Thanks

Dan

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2000, 10:19:03 PM »
Frankly, I'm not 100% sure what horde is.  It's a sort of web application framework, although in the current version, IMP is the only application available.  In the next version, I understand there will be other applications (separate contacts, calendar, maybe others).  For more information, visit www.horde.org.

The RPMs should be safe.  All the site files go in /home/e-smith/files/primary/html/horde/ (and horde/imp/), and there are a couple of additions to the httpd.conf template--these handle security for the horde/imp config files, and make sure that the correct PHP parameters are set for those directories.  No changes are made to the root directory of your site.  As a consequence of this, you need to make a link to yoursite/horde/imp to access the mail system.

Mike Stoddart

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2000, 03:50:20 AM »
Doesn't the installation depend on sendmail being installed on the system, yet E-Smith used qmail? How do you get around this? I tried to register a new user, but it wouldn't send the password email as it couldnt find sendmail.

Thanks

Mike Stoddart

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2000, 03:51:40 AM »
Also what file permissions (ownership etc) should I use? I can't delete email from within IMP.

Thanks

Dan

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2000, 06:27:29 AM »
E-smith doesn't install sendmail, but there's still a /usr/sbin/sendmail (it just calls qmail instead).  The new user signup is supposed to be turned off by default (and all it does is send an e-mail to the admin with the information, unless you change that script), but it does send an e-mail OK on my e-smith system.  It gives an error of "bad arguments to implode()", which is a separate issue (and fixed in -pre14, for which I hope to have RPMs available shortly--it was just released today).

I'm not sure why it would be giving you trouble, but I know of at least one other person who's had trouble sending mail as well.  Can you send mail normally?

Dan

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2000, 06:46:28 AM »
Permissions shouldn't be an issue; they are set by the RPM and only affect the IMP files.  IMP is intended to act as a normal IMAP client with respect to messages and such.  What happens when you try to delete mail?

Mike Stoddart

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2000, 07:32:46 AM »
No problem - having reinstalled E-Smith and IMP, it all works nicely.

Thanks

Dan Brown

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2000, 08:54:09 AM »
You're welcome--glad to hear it.

Mike Stoddart

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2000, 08:48:24 AM »
I'm having great problems with IMP. Every so often I get this error when I try to log ing:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in page.inc on line 68

The only solution is to delete all temporary files in Windows. I presume this is a problem with cookies. Has anyone else seen this?

Mike Stoddart

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2000, 09:04:13 AM »
Also, when I send mail from my server, the reply address appears as:

mike@localhost.stodge.net

and so reply won't work. Does anyone know how to configure Imp to use (in my case) a reply address of mike@stodge.net??

Thanks