Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Monitor Page

Alan Sedgewick

Monitor Page
« on: July 27, 2000, 03:26:16 AM »
Hi

Version 4 is very, very good ***BUT*** my wish would be to have a monitor page for all the people like me who like to see what is happening in the box.
I.E. Modem connect time and speed (Important for all us 56k Dialups) and active Machines/Links/Internet Connects. This page could be left running or returned to consol.

Regards

Alan S.

Charlie Brady

RE: Monitor Page
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2000, 03:51:55 AM »
Alan Sedgewick wrote:

> Version 4 is very, very good ***BUT*** my wish would be to have
> a monitor page for all the people like me who like to see what
> is happening in the box.

That is very high on my list of things that we need to do. And in fact if you look at the now obsolete http://www.e-smith.org/future/ page, you will see that it was already on the list of planned features - but unfortunately didn't make it into this release.

Regards

Charlie

Alan Sedgewick

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2000, 04:32:29 AM »
Hi Charlie

Thanks for your prompt reply, since being pointed in the direction of E-Smith i have been very impressed with the help and support I have got from this forum and people who have e-mailed me from all corners of the world. As a new convert to Linux this is the first package that I have had that Installed and did what It was advertized to do with no problems or Glitches.

The Monitor page Idea would be great if it could be enabled and Locked I.E Display Info but keyboard locked to prevent tampering. A 'box' that works soon becomes invisible and forgotten. But a box that shows what is happening gets noticed and reminds folks (My Kids) that Web traffic is monitored. I was allways facinated by the display in Wingate, the program fell over daily but the Display was good. Now I am using E-Smith and no daily reboots but I can't watch what is happening. I hope that this will happen in the next release.

Again thanks for e-smith and the contacts I have made worldwide and as I learn more about the system I hope to contribute to these forums in a more informed manner.

Regards

Alan S.

Orville Carter

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2000, 05:01:31 AM »
Alan,
We have installed a Linux program called IPTRAF on e-smith machines with
no loss of performance. Iptraf must be started as "root".
It has a number of screens. The most usefull ones show download speeds, IP's of all
connections (internal or external). So you can tell which pc is on line by the ip's.

Also, Iptraf keeps a detailed log of ALL websites, Ip connected, and date and time.

OC

Charlie Brady

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2000, 09:59:08 PM »
Orville Carter wrote:

> Alan, We have installed a Linux program called IPTRAF on
> e-smith machines with no loss of performance. Iptraf must be
> started as "root".

Somewhere I think I have an RPM to start up iptraf on an otherwise unused virtual console. I found iptraf to be quite CPU intensive - it pushed an otherwise idle machine to almost 100% CPU.

> It has a number of screens. The
> most usefull ones show download speeds, IP's of all connections
> (internal or external). So you can tell which pc is on line by
> the ip's.
>
> Also, Iptraf keeps a detailed log of ALL websites, Ip
> connected, and date and time.

Most or all of that log information is already available in the squid logs.
And if you want to be sure that all your client machines are using the squid cache, I have a transparent proxy add-on RPM available - check it out at http://e-smith.gormand.com.au/4.0-preview/.

Regards

Charlie

Adam Sleight

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2000, 04:18:22 AM »
How about having a simple command to restard smbd and nmbd rather than having to log in to root and issue
killall -HUP nmbd
killall -HUP snmb

Of course without rebooting one can go to Configuration / Workgroup and change domain master to either yes or no and SAVE then do it again but revert back and it'll do the same thing.

Perhaps a LPRng queue monitoring would be useful.  So an admin could quickly view the status of all printers via the web.  And show how many jobs were pending with sizes of each job in KB or MB.

LPRng, qmail, imap, pop, ip-masquerading, samba 2.0.7, awesome little package.
Also I understand the FOCUS to maintain simplicty.
How about a allowing us to specify the DCHP range (or is it there already) I have it disabled since I'm already running one on my LAN.
check out page 17 of the linksys cable/dsl router, DHCP server has a screenshot.
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr41ug.pdf  1.5MB download

This product is SIMPLE (same focus as e-smith)...with just a few advanced features.

Orville Carter

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2000, 03:46:51 AM »
Charlie,
      Can I use these rpm's with the E-smith 4.0 final??
Any precautions to be taken?

ref:http://e-smith.gormand.com.au/4.0-preview/

christian

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2000, 01:28:47 AM »
Maybe MRTG is something for you. I hope e-smith is thinking about it. It is a perl script that generates html pages with grafiks about every snmp counter you can think off (What you choose of course). We use it on NT servers all over the country to spot memory leaks, data send and received through NIC, processor utilisation and so on.

It keeps a history for two years.

Christian

Charlie Brady

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2000, 01:55:23 AM »
christian wrote:

> Maybe MRTG is something for you. I hope e-smith is thinking
> about it. It is a perl script that generates html pages with
> grafiks about every snmp counter you can think off (What you
> choose of course). We use it on NT servers all over the country
> to spot memory leaks, data send and received through NIC,
> processor utilisation and so on.

We certainly are thinking about MRTG. And our MRTG expert starts work here on Monday :-)

MRTG won't be right for everyone however. It expends considerable processing resources generating graphics for all data at every time interval (usually 5 minutes) - even if they will never be looked at.

For people with low resource servers, other resource monitors which generate the graphics on the fly, only when requested, will be more appropriate. We hope to provide alternative monitor systems, which can be installed as add-on packages which will become automatically integrated with the e-smith manager screens.

Regards

Charlie

Shad Lords

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2001, 04:31:53 AM »
Charlie wrote:

> MRTG won't be right for everyone however. It expends
> considerable processing resources generating graphics
> for all data at every time interval (usually 5 minutes)
> - even if they will never be looked at.

You can however configure MRTG to use rrdtool which will only generate the graphics when someone requests the graphs.  This has saved me quite a few resources on the machines that I monitor.