Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Oracle Capabilities

Alessandro Degola

Oracle Capabilities
« on: July 26, 2000, 12:11:14 PM »
Is having a bent for oracle server a good idea???

I think e-smith should have a brent for oracle server to grow his businness.

Let me know what do you think about it.

Cheers,

Alessandro Degola

Dan

RE: Oracle Capabilities
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2000, 10:15:39 PM »
Well, e-smith doesn't contain an oracle server by default, but there are other SQL servers that will work just fine, and are free.  The most popular is probably MySQL (http://www.mysql.com), but there's also PostgreSQL (as I understand it, it's not quite as fast, but much more powerful), and Interbase was recently released as free software as well.  IMO, for the sort of application that e-smith is designed for, oracle would be overkill.

Alessandro Degola

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2000, 01:16:08 PM »
>Well, e-smith doesn't contain an oracle server by default,
>but there are other SQL servers that will work just fine, and are free. The most >popular is probably MySQL (http://www.mysql.com), but there's also PostgreSQL (as >I understand it, it's not quite as fast, but much more powerful), and Interbase was >recently released as free software as well. IMO, for the sort of application that e->smith is designed for, oracle would be overkill.

thinking of it better...I'm agree with you! oracle is too heavy.

Dan

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2000, 07:06:29 PM »
Just FWIW, I've been running a MySQL server on an e-smith box for the last 8 months or so with no problems.  Which server you choose will probably depend on what you want to do with it, but there's lots of stuff out there to work with MySQL.

Alessandro Degola

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2000, 01:59:32 PM »
>Just FWIW, I've been running a MySQL server on an e-smith box for the last 8 >months or so with no problems. Which server you choose will probably depend on >what you want to do with it, but there's lots of stuff out there to work with MySQL.

For my purpose I need OLE DB driver so I'll be able to establish a connection from windows ADO client to the database server.

I did't find OLE DB driver for MySQL therefore I need Oracle server.
If you know OLE DB driver for MySQL is available please let me know where I can download it.

Thanks a lot for you suggestion.

Cheers
Alessandro Degola