Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Can we have a dns server please

Randy Brown

Can we have a dns server please
« on: July 26, 2000, 08:52:10 AM »
Hi!

I have enjoyed useing e-smith for over a year now and have only one complaint it is ony a forwarding dns server...

I would very much like to have the option to have a real dns server so that i can host my own domain and any other vitural domains with out haveing to pay some one else to dns them... I could set up another computer to do dns but it seems logical that we should be able to make e-smith do it with out to much trouble.

thanks for listening

randy

Philip Aylesworth

RE: Can we have a dns server please
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2000, 08:22:07 PM »
I would second that.

The Cobalt Qube does DNS with a web interface. At sites were I have Qubes installed we use them the DNS for internal machines. It does DNS forwarding, too.

Maybe someone could look at this as an add on product.

Charlie Brady

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2000, 09:54:06 PM »
Philip Aylesworth wrote:

> I would second that.
>
> The Cobalt Qube does DNS with a web interface. At sites were I
> have Qubes installed we use them the DNS for internal machines.
> It does DNS forwarding, too.
>
> Maybe someone could look at this as an add on product.

The standard e-smith installation already does DNS for internal machines, and does DNS forwarding as well, if configured to use external DNS servers.

We currently have no plans modify the server software to provide primary public DNS service. This would go well beyond our design philosophy which is to provide a solution which is as simple and reliable as possible.

We expect our target customers to buy primary DNS services from a professional service provider. The process of domain name registration and delegation and setting up of primary and secondary DNS servers is beyond what we can automate reliably.

There's nothing to stop a third part making an add-on module to set up primary or secondary DNS service for a domain or domains, but that will only be a small part of the process of setting up a domain.

Regards

Charlie

Lane Lloyd

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2000, 07:03:18 PM »
Hi,

If you register your domains through register.com they provide the dns etc and you can set what ip the dns resolves too (and mx server etc)

regards,

Lane

Steve Bush

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2000, 06:48:44 AM »
Pay for DNS services?!?  No way.....
Just go to www.centralinfo.net and sign up for their free service.
Plus it's almost as easy to setup as e-Smith 4.0!!!!