Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

FreeS/WAN IPSEC on 6.0.1

Anonymous

FreeS/WAN IPSEC on 6.0.1
« on: April 26, 2004, 06:17:54 AM »
There's got to be an easier way to implement this than having to dig through all the releases of freeswan and matching them against the right kernel and architecture...

I searched the forums best I could and also followed Darrell May's excellent howto when I was running 5.6 on two servers. This enabled me to connect the servers, however briefly. The problem arose when I upgraded one machine and did a clean install on the other (both to 6.0.1). Through trial and mostly error, I found what most would have seen as obvious: the rpms are kernel-specific. However, after trying to install the proper kernel using various versions found on freeswan.ca, I still get recursive failed dependency errors. Ipsec also doesn't want to install (can't open directory). Though it could be me as well, I'm still new to this Linux stuff.

Does anyone know the proper files that will work with the latest SME release (kernel 2.4.20-18.7, i686), or should I return to using 5.6? Is there already a forum thread that explains this that I missed?

Ideally, the goal is to have windows clients browse the remote network with the file explorer as if it were on the local net, but I seem to recall a thread that mentioned there was some difficulty with the freeswan samba combination. Additionally, both servers are using dynamic IP, which could be another problem why the initial connection using 5.6 was short-lived.

All help apprecieated

Medimo

FreeS/WAN IPSEC on 6.0.1
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 09:54:45 AM »
There is an easier way, use the rpm's from:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=19393.0

install both freeswan files first.
then install the devinfo-rpm with the option --nodeps if you're going to use it on a 6.0 release. It works.
so: rpm -Uvh --nodeps devin*.rpm

set it up according to the howto.

If you have dynamic ip's it will be harder.
If you have natting routers/modems/firewalls it will be even harder & instable.
If you have a static ip without anything in the way it will be easy.

grz,

Richard