Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Memory Issues

Aaron

Memory Issues
« on: October 29, 2003, 10:31:37 PM »
I have loaded 5.6 on a 2300 Dell Dimension 30 gig harddrive 1.0gig memory. I am increasingly using up my memory. I am at 97% usage and no usage on my disk swap. I am sure that I have a problem somewhere could someone shed some light on this for me?

rick

Re: Memory Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 11:24:51 PM »
It is meant to work like that

Aaron

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 01:03:12 AM »
Ok.. but then it will reach 99% and then stop all email and internet access. What happens then? Is there a way to setup a cron job to restart the system?

Thanks Rick

Boris

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2003, 02:22:00 AM »
most of the memory used for buffers and caching.
applications use (most likely) less then 100Mb.
When new proccess needs memory and all of RAM used, it will free up some old cache or buffers and reuse that memory automaticaly.

Michael Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 03:37:20 AM »
have you applied all updates?

Aaron

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 07:55:42 PM »
Sorry but no I have not done any updates. Here is another dumb question do these updates come like a (eeekkk) Microsoft service pack or do I have to look for certain thing to update.

I have search a little in the forums for information regarding updates and could not find one that talks specifically about updates themselves.

Reinhold

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 08:22:31 PM »
Aaron:

Just listen to what rick and Boris wrote...
This is no bug - it's a great Linux feature !!!

Why should a good OS let your expensive RAM memory go to waste, leave it there unused?!  Unlike WINnn - you will always have 90+% usage ... but be assured that this is mostly buffers ... and those will be flushed in no time when you need real memory - even with your 1Gig of RAM.

A thing to remember: "FREE" memory means memory that is being wasted.

If you want to know details have a look at: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php

or use: cat /proc/meminfo

dave

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 08:55:02 PM »
Memory usage:
I have 2 SME systems running and both hover at approx 99% usage.  One system has 512meg, the other has a GIG.  I don't have extremely long uptimes but I've never had any problems with things not working as memory usage increases.  It's working as designed - as others here have stated.

Updates:
Go to any of the download mirrors and look for an updates folder for the version you have installed.  There will be installation instructions there also.

Aaron

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 12:20:12 AM »
Ok I think I finally understand. Thank you all for your help in teaching an old dog a new trick. Everyone has been very gracious to me. I would like to give a Kudos to all.

Thanks again,
Aaron