Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

HELP!! Dansguardian doesn't filter

Ed

HELP!! Dansguardian doesn't filter
« on: September 13, 2003, 09:36:12 AM »
I have installed the latest versions of Dansguardian and Dungog-dansguardian on my SME V5.6 server on a small family network. I am accessing this server via a MAC OSX system, in case that's relevant.

The filtering modes are not working. If I set "Transparent", then nothing will come through; the browser just hangs. If I set "no modifications" then nothing is filtered. I've tried setting up proxies on port 8080 (proxy.mydomain.org) and it doesn't do any good. No setting there results in anything getting through. (I know the OSX proxy setup works because I use it at work).

I am trying to figure out if this is a MAC artifact or if there is something wrong with the applications.

I have removed the old squidGuard app because it wasn't filtering a lot of the junk my kids were browsing, which is why I went to Dansguardian. I want to set up transparent filtering so that any client on the network is automatically filtered.

I'd sure appreciate some help!

Thanks
Ed

Walter Padgett

Re: HELP!! Dansguardian doesn't filter
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 12:27:18 AM »
Good Afternoon,

I have had great luck with 2.6-3 from dungog. I think he has a newer one out now and it basically denies anything from 3128 and 80. Remember, if you do anything inside of the dungog/dansguardian panel you must save the settings before closing the manager.

It's pretty straightforward.

Later

Wally

Ed

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 07:52:52 AM »
Well, unfortunately I have tried all of this - and more - and it still doesn't work. I have been able to get Dansguardian to work OK on v5.5, so I suspect it's something connected with the changes made to v5.6, such as using iptables instead of ipchains.

Rgds
Ed

stephen noble

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 11:55:52 AM »
ed
i'll answer further offlist

you can test if it's the mac by using lynx on the server

add to /etc/lynx.cfg
HTTP_PROXY:http://www.YOU.net:8080

and run
lynx sex.com

regards
stephen

Ed

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 01:50:26 AM »
FYI, since I have responded to Stephen off-list:

All of his tests came back with the expected values. The above test resulted in "sex.com" being blocked by squid, as it should have been.

I am seeing some weird stuff in my squid access log, which I have sent to Stephen. I am wondering if I have (1) been hacked, or (2) have a client with a highly insecure application running (other than Windows, I mean!! ;-)

Rgds
ed