Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

qmail and glibc 2.3

Matthias Redl

qmail and glibc 2.3
« on: September 10, 2003, 05:07:21 PM »
Hi!

In order to install the newest version of Hylafax I had to upgrade glibc 2.3. I did that, but now qmail does not work anymore. The log file says

>Incorrectly built binary which accesses errno, h_errno or _res directly. Needs to be fixed.

I tried to downgrade to glibc2.2 again, but rpm gives me a Segmentation fault. The other option would be to patch qmail. I found a webpage, that explains this, but already the first step does not work.

What else could I try?
Matthias

P.S. Can a "upgrade" e-smith to the same version? Like e.g. 6.0 to 6.0 (reinstall, but keep the configuration?)

Robert

Re: qmail and glibc 2.3
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 06:42:14 PM »
Odd, I have hylafax 4.1.7 installed with glibc 2.2.4. Why the dependency on glibc 2.3? Where did you get the hylafax rpm?

Matthias Redl

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 06:47:32 PM »
basically good news (except for me ).

I download it from the Hylafax Website. It wasn't Hylafax that requested the newer glibc, it was another rpm (don't know which one).

Do you know, which of the other RPMs you needed to install before you could install Hylafax? Did you follow the instructions on the Hylafax Website or one of the contribs?

Thanks,
Matthias

Robert

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 07:10:23 PM »
I followed the howto at chaloner.ca. Mind you, hylafax itself doesn't have many dependencies, but one of the required packages is ghostscript and there are some huge, include-everything-but-the-kitchensink ghostscript packages out there that pull in loads of dependencies. Don't use one of those. Use one of the minimal ghostscript rpms instead. Charlie Brady's had a minimal ghostscript rpm in his contrib area for ages, and I recently built one for my cups contrib as well (http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/rvandenaker/beta/). My ghostscript build only requires cups-libs and libtiff (besides standard stuff). This is the full list of packages I installed for hylafax:
hylafax, ghostscript, cups-libs, ghostscript-fonts, libtiff, metamail.

Matthias Redl

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 07:16:00 PM »
Hey Robert,

thanks a lot, I didn't know that there were smaller ghostscript packages too.

Once I have reinstalled the server I will immediatly try it again ... and kill my server again :-)

Thanks again,
Matthias