Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Another Request for help with Ports

Prezes

Another Request for help with Ports
« on: September 09, 2003, 09:49:04 PM »
Sorry to do this to those who have been helping out and are borred with port related questions, but....

I have installed a voice-over-net software package on my SME 5.6 server, (it's a sever for my home network, hence not too worried about it), it requires access through UDP port. Which port it doesn't matter as I can change that.

I problem is in this, no-one from out side of my home network can gain access through any UDP port.

I have 2 ethernet cards, eth0 is connected to a cable modem and eth1 is connnected to my hub. The server is set to a sever/gateway setting. My understanig of the security settings is that it allows all UDP port access from my network (eth1), but none from the internet (eth0).

I have tried to append the IPtables, with no luck (it kept telling me that multiple " -s " commands are not allowed).

I have installed the Port forwarding rrp, but as I dont want to forward the packets to another machine, I don't see how that can help me.

Please explain to a relative nOOb to Linux (my background is in web page design and only recently I have began to learn Linux)

Thanks for any advice

Matt

Graeme Fleming

Re: Another Request for help with Ports
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 11:19:22 PM »
Look in these forums for the port opening contrib

Klaus Eckert

Re: Another Request for help with Ports
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 02:47:32 AM »
bevore the port-forwarding will show any results, you have to open this port.
use the port-opening contrib for this job.

you will get more answers by searching for "port opening" here in the forum.

cheers klaus