Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

E-smith

Tyrone Miles

E-smith
« on: August 18, 2003, 12:28:19 AM »
I have an old P166 computer. Which version old or new will run on that? Will 5.5?

Klaus Eckert

Re: E-smith
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 01:14:58 AM »
yes the 5.6 update4 will run.
it will not be a "rocket" and the server-manager will be very slow.
but the normal work will be quick enough.

cheers klaus

Cory

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 03:56:38 AM »
I run E-smith (6.0 beta2) on a PII 200mhz machine. With 32MB of ram it was VERY slow. I put an extra 64MB of ram in it and it runs at a slow but acceptable speed.

Michael Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 06:15:05 AM »
Load it up with RAM and it'll perform just fine.  I have an emergency machine, an old AST Bravo Pentium 166 with 192 megs of RAM, that has been quite reliable as a SME box in server-gateway mode.  Server manager is sluggish, but performance as gateway, router & server is quite acceptable.

Paul T.C.Fung

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 10:37:07 AM »
Install a sme 5.5 on it, and as long as you got 128M ram, it will do the job fine for you.

I have try that setup on a P233 PC (not a PII) with 128M ram, and no one in the office said a word on the slow Internet again, as the proxy did cache up the pages.

(IN my point of view, a P233 is not faster than a P166 much.......)

They will just say that the file share is slow, even the e-mail server run well.

Just try not to let you user the load file into ther server and it will just work well !!

Best Regards,

Paul T.C.Fung

Tyrone Miles

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 08:48:18 PM »
Thanks guys for all the help.  This machine has been a die hard e-smith machine for me since 4 came out and I had upgraded it up will 5.6 but I keep getting errors that the Kernel in 5.6 didn't support the Journaling FS on that platform.

Now I have 5.5 on it, did a restore from desktop and it's back up and running (It's a P-166 with 64 MB of ram) It works great for my junk files and downloads etc.

Again thanks for the quick responses and help 5.5 it will be!

On last question, what updates came out for 5.5 and where can I get them (And install directions)

Paul T.C.Fung

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 09:26:03 PM »
If you have got your server "Internet Ready", Try to issue this command under console :

wget -r http://public.ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/e-smith/updates/5.5/Update6/RPMS/

when fininshed type this command.

rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs *.rpm
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-upgrade
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot

Just that simple.

Also, IF your PC have a ATA 66 Hard Drive get these command before the reboot line :

/sbin/e-smith/config setprop hdparm status enabled

That will make your 5.5 to use the ATA function, hope this help.

Best Regards,

Paul T.C.Fung

Paul T.C.Fung

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2003, 09:47:04 PM »
...... I got a typo here :

should be :

"wget -np -r" when using the wget command......

Tyrone Miles

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2003, 10:06:36 PM »
Thank you for all your help Paul. I am right on it.  Will write back when done!

Again THANKS! :-)