Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME 5.6 filter mail for exchange.

ryan

Re: SME 5.6 filter mail for exchange.
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2003, 10:10:56 PM »
Michael,

I have a second firewall (IPCop) set to forward 110 to exchange since you can't do that with SME running as a mail server.  This will require a second public IP Address.

You can also put exchange on the internet, but I would not advise having exchange on a public IP address due to it being Microsoft.  

hope that helps,

ryan

Charlie Brady

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2003, 11:07:53 PM »
ryan wrote:

> I have a second firewall (IPCop) set to forward 110 to
> exchange since you can't do that with SME running as a mail
> server.

Why not? I believe it is possible.

Charlie

ryan

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2003, 01:30:27 AM »
Actually, I never messed with port 110 on the SME that filters email..it should work with the port forward addon link for server manager.  IMAPI should work as well.  

I should have said port 25 can't be forwarded when running qmail on SME.

Thanks for the clarification Charlie.

ryan

Michael Roed

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2003, 12:05:50 PM »
Ryan, I have done just that. Installed the portforward rpm and set port 110 to forward to my Exchange but nothing happens. I'm not that good with Exchange so maybe thats the problem although I think everything seems fine with it.

ryan

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2003, 08:56:21 PM »
Michael,

Your Exchange server should have SME as its IP gateway.  If you have port forwareded 110 to your exchange server IP address it should work...given your port forwarding is the correct rpm and works.  

To test on a windows box..from outside your LAN:

start/run, type cmd
at the prompt type:  telnet 110

You can use this to test any tcp port to any system.

You should immediately see a line at the top from your exchange server.  

If the box 'hangs' and shows nothing, wait a long time for a time out. Portforwarding is not working.

If they box stays black and does nothing and 'hangs', port forwarding is not working.  

If you want to see what this should look like, try this:

telnet 66.210.243.50 110

this is my work exchange server behind IPCop firewall with incoming mail filtered with a second SME firewall.  

good luck,

ryan

Michael Roed

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2003, 08:07:25 PM »
Now I have tried everything but SME won't let POP3 pass. I have tried setting my Exchange server directly to the internet and everything works fine!!!

So the problem is 100 % the SME firewall!!!

Normally I delegate all e-mail directly to Exchange but I have tried removing this feature and just forwarded port 110 but no good.

I have asked this question before but can you, Ryan, explain what Charlie Brady means by configuring xinetd.conf in this thread ???
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=18085.msg70908#msg70908
What should I do?

His anwser doesn't work as I have tried this several times.

Thank you for the big help.

/michael.

ryan

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2003, 08:31:48 PM »
Micheal,

I consider myself a rookie at the bash shell and linux command line.  I am completely self taught and using just SME and IPCop since SME 4.1.2.  All my knowledge originates from posts on this sites or google searches.  Editing xinetd.conf is something I have not had to do....so I can't help.

Have you verified the problem to be SME or just port 110?  Can you port forward any port from SME?  Try something simple like VNC..port forward tcp 5900 to an internal computer with VNC running and then attempt to connect to it with vncviewer from the web using the external ip of SME for the vnc server host address.

If you have the wrong port forwarding rpm installed, 5.6 won't work.  If you can port forward 5900 or any other port, 110 should work as well.

keep trying!!!

ryan

Michael Roed

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2003, 11:16:33 AM »
I've got it !!!!

The problem was that the version of portforward I had on my SME was way old. I found the latest and installed it and now it works....Coooool !!!

Thanx for all the help.

/michael.