Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Clone MAC address for ext NIC - how?

Aaron

Clone MAC address for ext NIC - how?
« on: June 22, 2003, 11:12:39 PM »
I have an e-smith with an external NIC having a dynamic IP's for its internet connection. I need to upgrade the box and the external NIC is on the motherboard, not a removable NIC - last time I do that!!! If I'd have used that NIC for the INSIDE and put the removable NIC as the gateway I'd be laughing...lessons learned!

I'd like to retain the existing dynamic address if at all possible (been very stable for months now) and so I'm wondering if anyone has successfully mimicked the LinkSys "Clone MAC" functionaility on an e-smith?

I've found a couple of posts on the forum of folks trying, but none with a definitive sucessful outcome.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance, Aaron

RayG

Re: Clone MAC address for ext NIC - how?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 08:01:24 AM »
I'm not sure I fully understand what it is your trying to do but I know how to change the MAC address reported by any NIC using the Realtek 8139 phy if that's any help. That's the chip used on just about every NIC sold new in the US for under $10.

The primary reason I chose an external NIC for the outside connection is to protect the motherboard a bit. Something nasty coming down the cable will likely take out the NIC without damaging the rest of the system. A toasted motherboard NIC makes the motherboard pretty close to useless. A toasted PCI NIC just makes me drive to the computer store to buy another $10 card.

Kelvin

Re: Clone MAC address for ext NIC - how?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 05:30:58 PM »
Aaron,

>I've found a couple of posts on the forum of folks trying, but none with a definitive
>sucessful outcome.

Really ? Strange, have a look at this thread (follow till the end) :-

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=16551.msg64018#msg64018

Kelvin