Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

ASSP Anti-SPAM HOWTO

Neal Collins

Re: ASSP Anti-SPAM HOWTO
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2003, 01:44:10 PM »
To follow up my own post, it seems that when ASSP is restarted after the nightly update, it fails to start up correctly because the ports (25 & 55555) are still in use.

I modified the /etc/init.d/assp script to put a 'sleep 5' between the stop and start commands to give it time to finish shutting down and it now seems to ok.

Otherwise ASSP has worked a treat!

--
Neal

Alexander Ziemann

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2003, 02:00:35 PM »
Hi Neal,

how interesting! This may be it, but i am linux dummy  :-(; is this correct:

<        fi
        ;;
'sleep 5'
'stop')
        $stop
        RETVAL=$?
<
ASSP was dying just for that reason. I will test.

--
az

Steve

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2003, 03:19:41 PM »
There is no requirement to shut down ASSP to rebuild the spam dbase - if thats what you mean by nightly update

Neal Collins

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2003, 11:10:33 PM »
Steve wrote:
>
> There is no requirement to shut down ASSP to rebuild the spam
> dbase - if thats what you mean by nightly update

Interesting - this is the assp-update.sh script which is run daily at 4am. The last thing it does is a /sbin/service assp restart.

Anyway I changed line 66 of the /etc/init.d/assp script from:

$stop && $start

to

$stop && sleep 5 && $start

No more problems (so far anyway). BTW the 5 second delay was chosen at random - but it seems to work.

--
Neal

Alejandro Lengua

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2003, 11:29:53 PM »
I have installed the last version of the DMay ASSP Contrib. And after 5 days
of being working no problems have been reported. BTW I havenĀ“t changed anything.

I have a question: If I use the email delegation of SME will this allow me to
protect from SPAM another email server (eg: an Exchange Server or another SME BOX).

Ross E

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2003, 03:53:10 AM »
I forward all emails (incoming and outgoing) to a Lotus Notes server (through a 5.6 box). If I installed ASSP would it work for me as SME is not really processing or storing the messages?

Would the install be any different?

Alexander Ziemann

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2003, 11:14:09 AM »
Hi Neal,

i checked it over again at my 2 servers: No need for a 5 seconds delay.

ASSP worked fine, after i stopped using dnsbl , which i was doing additionally in the past.

Now i am using the standard installation provided by Darrel Mays contrib and it is working perfectly for some days now. Darrels scripts and no "dnsbl" entry in the config-file.

So this

> $stop && sleep 5 && $start

is not needed it seems.

az

Neal Collins

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2003, 01:23:39 PM »
Alexander Ziemann wrote:
>
> Hi Neal,
>
> i checked it over again at my 2 servers: No need for a 5
> seconds delay.
>
> ASSP worked fine, after i stopped using dnsbl , which i was
> doing additionally in the past.
>
> Now i am using the standard installation provided by Darrel
> Mays contrib and it is working perfectly for some days now.
> Darrels scripts and no "dnsbl" entry in the config-file.
>
> So this
>
> > $stop && sleep 5 && $start
>
> is not needed it seems.
>

Odd. There must be something strange in my configuration - it needs the sleep here (and I don't have dnsbl enabled either). Oh well, it's working well now, so I'm not too fussed about it :)

- Neal

Ruben

assp not restarting in assp-update.sh
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2004, 03:13:40 PM »
Hi Neal,

I am also experiencing assp shuting down. My environment is: ASSP 1.0.9 (Darrels latest contrib) in SME 5.5 with P166MX laptop. In my case I isolated the problem easily since assp always stoped at the same time in the morning (looking at the maillog). No random hangs of assp service have happened so far (probably because the server has a low load).

What my server is experiencing is that whenever I run the assp-update.sh process assp is not restarted properly. It shuts down after the spam-db-rebuild (which always completes).

Curiously when I commented the spam-db-rebuild line in assp-update.sh this script restarts assp properly. In addition, when I manualy do a spam-db-rebuild, assp main process does nos hang. The problem (faulty restart) happens when the restart is done within the assp-update.sh after a spam-db-rebuild has been asked in the script. With or without low ram checked in the assp config.

Now, I am trying to alter the assp-update.sh script to avoid it happen (it always does), maybe my laptop needs to sleep a bit after the spam DB has been rebuild and the assp service is restarted... I'll write any progress...

regards,

Ruben

Ruben

ASSP Anti-SPAM HOWTO
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2004, 03:18:06 PM »
BTW, I forgot to say that hints are welcomed ;-)

Anonymous

ASSP Anti-SPAM HOWTO
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2004, 11:35:02 PM »
There is NO requirement to shut down assp to perform the rebuild of the database.

Why all these posts about restarting it and failure to start it ? Start it on server boot and leave it running.

Ruben

ASSP Anti-SPAM HOWTO
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2004, 05:56:29 PM »
There is no requirement to shutdown assp in order to build the spam database, however the update script restarts assp after the spam db has been rebuild. My question is... is this necessary? does assp need to be restarted once the spam db has been rebuilt?

regards,

Ruben

Anonymous

ASSP Anti-SPAM HOWTO
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2004, 09:08:38 PM »
It doesnt need to be stopped therefore as its running why would you need to restart it.

Ruben

ASSP Anti-SPAM HOWTO
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2004, 04:13:54 PM »
I don't know how assp service interacts with the spam database. Maybe to restart the assp service is necessary after the database has been changed. I am quite new into this, but why would the assp-update.sh which runs daily do a spam db rebuild and afterwards force an assp service restart?
If the assp service works properly without any restart with a recently updated database taking into consideration all db changes, certainly it would be absolutely useless to restart the service as the assp-update.sh script does.

cheers,

Ruben