Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

...Access is denied.

Sterling

...Access is denied.
« on: June 11, 2003, 10:14:40 AM »
After following Darrell May's excellent HowTo and searching these forums for hours I haven't been able to come up with a solution. My workstation (xpclient) was a member of the SME domain. After removing xpclient from the domain I cannot re-add it. All I get is 'The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "SME": Access is denied.' I've verified that the sign or seal registry fix is active (set to 0). I've included the message log entries that are entered when attempting to join the domain below:

-----------------------------------------------------
Jun 10 22:55:08 smeserver e-smith[2270]: Processing event: machine-account-create xpclient$

Jun 10 22:55:08 smeserver e-smith[2270]: Running event handler: /etc/e-smith/events/machine-account-create/S10create-machine-account

Jun 10 22:55:09 smeserver /etc/e-smith/events/machine-account-create/S10create-machine-account[2271]: /home/e-smith/accounts: OLD xpclient$=(undefined)

Jun 10 22:55:09 smeserver /etc/e-smith/events/machine-account-create/S10create-machine-account[2271]: /home/e-smith/accounts: NEW xpclient$=machine

Jun 10 22:55:09 smeserver e-smith[2270]: create-machine-account xpclient$: Creating Unix user and group

Jun 10 22:55:10 smeserver e-smith[2270]: create-machine-account xpclient$: Locking account

Jun 10 22:55:10 smeserver e-smith[2270]: Locking password for user xpclient$.

Jun 10 22:55:10 smeserver e-smith[2270]: passwd: Success

Jun 10 22:55:10 smeserver e-smith[2270]: S10create-machine-account=action|Event|machine-account-create|Action|S10create-machine-account|Start|1055307308 718489|End|1055307310 349992|Elapsed|1.631503
-----------------------------------------------------

I'm about ready to shave my head because pulling my hair out is starting to hurt too much :-)

Thanks for any and all suggestions or replies.

-Sterling

Sterling

...Access is denied (Part 2)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 10:25:16 AM »
I found the "samba/log.xpclient" log and here are the entries that are created in it when I try to join the domain.

-----------------------------------
[2003/06/10 23:20:04, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:get_md4pw(176)
  get_md4pw: Workstation xpclient$: no account in domain
[2003/06/10 23:20:14, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwnam(1369)
  unable to open passdb database.
[2003/06/10 23:20:14, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:add_smbfilepwd_entry(575)
  add_smbfilepwd_entry: unable to open file.
[2003/06/10 23:20:14, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_api_samr_create_user(1929)
  Failed to add entry for user xpclient$.
-----------------------------------

Thanks again,

-Sterling

Sterling

Access is denied (Part 3?).
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 10:45:36 AM »
I finally got it working after doing the following and using root instead of admin to add the machine to the domain.

------------------------------
[root@smeserver root]# smbpasswd -a root
New SMB password:********
Retype new SMB password:********
Added user root.
[root@smeserver root]#

It appears that I could no longer add this machine using the admin account for some reason. The strange thing is that when I would try with root (before adding root to smbpasswd) it would give me the "Invalid user" error, not the "Access is denied" like the admin account did. Can anybody shed any light on why this happened?

Thanks.

-Sterling

Michiel

Re: Access is denied (Part 3?).
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 12:11:24 PM »
> domain. After removing xpclient from the domain I cannot
> re-add it.

In a certain way adding a client to a domain is like creating a user account on SME (with a trailing $) Not being able to re-create a user account is a known issue on SME. (http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=4414.msg15329#msg15329).

So maybe # /sbin/e-smith/db accounts delete xpdomain$ would solve your problem.

Michiel

Sterling

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 09:12:49 PM »
> So maybe # /sbin/e-smith/db accounts delete xpdomain$ would
> solve your problem.

Thank you for the suggestion but I had issued that and similar commands as per Darrell May's HowTo:

# /usr/bin/smbpasswd -x $machineName$
# /usr/bin/passwd -d $machineName$
# /usr/sbin/userdel $machineName$
# /sbin/e-smith/db accounts delete $machineName$

All these commands completed successfully so I don't think it was a problem with the account already existing. It was a matter of which account (admin vs. root) was allowed to add the machine to the domain. admin couldn't but root could after I added root to smbpasswd, but I have no idea why.

Regards,

-Sterling

Walter Padgett

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 01:31:44 AM »
Good Afternoon,

I'm going nuts here, I've followed everything I can find in the phorums concerning adding a XP Professional box to the esmith box. ARRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

1. Followed D.M.'s excellent howto and upgraded SAMBA I think (using 5.6).
2. Used the reg file from /home/e-smith/files/????/xplogin.reg included by default on a SME box.
3. Added more entries to that reg file as per instructions that I found in the phorum.
4. Followed the above instructions in regards to adding root to the smbpasswd list.
5. Still get access denied.

I can ping the box, map drives to the box, just can't make it my login domain box. I want it to be my domain controller because I don't want to have to install 140+ users on all 25+ computers in this lab.

A penny for your thoughts,

Wally

asotelo

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 06:03:20 AM »
Quote from: "Sterling"
I finally got it working after doing the following and using root instead of admin to add the machine to the domain.

[root@smeserver root]# smbpasswd -a root
New SMB password:********
Retype new SMB password:********
Added user root.
[root@smeserver root]#

It appears that I could no longer add this machine using the admin account for some reason. The strange thing is that when I would try with root (before adding root to smbpasswd) it would give me the "Invalid user" error, not the "Access is denied" like the admin account did. Can anybody shed any light on why this happened?

Thanks.

-Sterling

I was having the same issue in SME 6.0.1, invalid user name and password, credentials conflicting with existing account and other weird messages. Your solution fixed the problem.

Thanks sterling!! :-)