Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Problem with qmail: connection_died

SanDy

Problem with qmail: connection_died
« on: May 28, 2003, 06:08:06 PM »
Hi everybody!
I have trouble with qmail on SME 5.6 server. My "sendmail style log" is:

1054126400.505080500 qp 32679: to=remote.user@domain.com, uid=401, ddelay=90403.646368, xdelay=1002.409364, stat=Deferred (Connected_to_xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx_but_connection_died._(#4.4.2)/)
Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - ip of my provider's SMTP server. In provider's server mail log files is 'connection time out' error.

Some messages are deffered, and that very bad. But some messages are sending ok.

How I can fix this?????

May be this due to bad connection?

What happend, if I clear mail queue? and how I can make this?

Nathan Fowler

Re: Problem with qmail: connection_died
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 06:28:47 PM »
My suggestion would be to not use your ISPs SMTP server to relay messsages since E-Smith has built in SMTP server capabilities.  Is there any reason why you are relaying outgoing messages through your ISPs SMTP server instead of just using E-Smith?

Thanks,
Nathan

SanDy

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 07:26:48 PM »
You mean to leave blank 'Internet provider's SMTP server' field on 'other e-mail settings' page in server-manager? I did this, and have same result - (Connected_to_194.67.23.20_but_connection_died._(#4.4.2)/

Thanks.

Michiel

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 08:23:24 PM »
> My suggestion would be to not use your ISPs SMTP server to
> relay messsages since E-Smith has built in SMTP server
> capabilities.

I don't know. If you have a permanent connection with a fixed IP you're probably right.

However, with a dynamic IP you won't be able to send e-mail to certain destinations, as many servers will refuse an smtp connection from servers whose IP address can't be resolved. This is good anti-spam practice.

Furthermore, with a dial-up connection you don't want to leave your connection open, trying to deliver mail to some hard-to-reach server. Just flush your mail to your ISP, close the connection and let them do the trying & retrying.

Just my 0.02 Euro
Michiel