Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Warning, Install

Richard Fitzsimons

Warning, Install
« on: April 27, 2003, 03:37:40 AM »
Just a friendly warning.

I had an old 5.1.2 server which was failing to upgrade to 5.6 so

seeing as I had two hard drives with /home on the second, I wiped the first thinking that the data woudl remain on the second. Well I did fresh install but obvioulsy install found 2nd hard drive too, wiped it and configured it and I lost all my data. And no I didn't, it was personal not business. Oh well.

Now back to loking for those xp updates :)

RF

Terry Brummell

Re: Warning, Install
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 03:52:52 AM »
As mentioned in the manual:

Step 2: Choose your preferred language from the list. This language will be used throughout the rest of the installation, and the 6000 MAS software will use this as the default language after installation.

Warning
The installation process formats and erases all attached hard drives. If you have multiple hard drives, be sure to back them up prior to starting the installation process.

See the part that says "all attached hard drives"?  Guess you didn't RTFM huh?

Michael Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 10:16:28 AM »
Guess you've never lost data huh Terry?  True, he didn't R the M, but I have a mite of sympathy anyway.  Hard lesson!

Terry Brummell

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 02:50:10 PM »
Lost data from not reading the manual or warning screens during install?  No.  Lost data due to a failed drive?  Yes.
I don't think that a person who comes into a public forum and complains/warns about something that is clearly written in the manual and you are warned about it during the install (at least in 5.5 you are, haven't installed 5.6 so can't comment there) then you don't deserve any sympathy (in my books atleast).

YMMV
Terry