Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

dialin and mapping network drives

Kees Vonk

dialin and mapping network drives
« on: April 25, 2003, 01:03:45 AM »
I have just set up my test server (v5.6) up with dialin access. And after some initial problems (COM ports disabled in BIOS) everythings seems to work great (well almost everything). I can get on the internet via our gateway, I can see the windows machines on the network and map network drives against them.

However there is one thing I really really want to do and that is map a network drive to the server's ibays and I cannot get that to work. It keeps asking me for passwords. If I try to browse the server I get asked for the IPC$ password, if I try to map a network drive by host name it totally fails and by ip-address it takes a long long time and then asks me for a password. I have tried every password on the server and nothing seems to work. Mapping a drive from a machine on the network is no problem and does not ask for a password.

Am I doing anything wrong? Is it possible to get to the shared drives on the server when you are dialed in?

Thank you very much,

Kees

Kelvin

Re: dialin and mapping network drives
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 06:02:45 AM »
Kees,

> I get asked for the IPC$ password

I take it your client OS is Win9x/ME.
You need to log into the client PC using a username / password combination that is defined on the SME server (ie. if your login name is joe and password is bloggs on your Windows PC, then there must be an account called joe with password bloggs on the SME server).

Kelvin

Kees Vonk

Re: dialin and mapping network drives
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 09:25:25 PM »
Kelvin,

> You need to log into the client PC using a username /
> password combination that is defined on the SME server

That did the trick, I should have known it was a MS-Windows problem.

Thank you very much,

Kees