Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Can not access own web address internally

Dean

Can not access own web address internally
« on: April 08, 2003, 01:50:18 AM »
Hello All,

I have just installed a fresh 5.6 with Upgrade 2, after successfully using 5.5u2/3 for sometime.

The problem that I have is that I can not access my own web address internally, I can access it via its own IP.  I can not also access ftp/smtp or pop internally.

All the dns & server setting are as my old 5.5 which worked perfectly.  I can see my web address externally (ie from a dial ip or another site).

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dean

Kelvin

Re: Can not access own web address internally
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 06:47:14 AM »
I take it you mean that your domain is actually hosted by an ISP or webhost and you cannot access your website from your LAN behind the SME ?

If so, you need to make changes to the Hostnames panel in server-manager.

If not, please post more info.

Kelvin

Cyrus Bharda

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 08:27:58 AM »
Dean,

Yeah look at this thread:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=16941.msg65663#msg65663

It should explain everything pretty clearly :-)

Cyrus Bharda

Dean

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 09:43:33 PM »
The web page lies on my e-smith server. I can get to it using the ip (192.168.0.1) but not the address: www.123abc.com, yet external users can access my site.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Dean

Kelvin

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2003, 01:59:10 AM »
This is most certainly a DNS issue.

Seeing your website from outside is done through a DNS lookup of your domain name via the global DNS, nothing to do with your SME server (except when they actually get to your server !).

Seeing your website from the LAN is a function of the DNS server on your LAN. If that SME server is also your DNS server for the LAN then the problem lies there. Also, if your workstations are W2K/XP, you could try flushing the dns cache of the workstations with ipconfig /flushdns.

Kelvin

Dean

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 03:04:22 AM »
Found the answer in:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=16848.msg65253#msg65253

but unsure if I have created any damage to any other links on my server.

Action taken:
safely copied the /home/dns/var/named/db.mydomain.com file and /home/dns/var/named/db.mydomain.jnl. Deleted both. ran a post-upgrade and rebooted. Now I can see all my domains from internal network.