Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Network stopped v5.6

Ralf Hess

Network stopped v5.6
« on: February 13, 2003, 04:08:20 PM »
Hi,

I have updated (no fresh install) my Home-E-Smith Server from v5.1.2 to 5.6 (also the Board: Single Pentium Pro to Dual Pentium Pro).

I have also installed Portforwading.

FTP to the Server from local network or from outside is ok. SSH via PuTTY is ok. Mail managment is ok. Using WEB-Site is ok. But if I write files from a client on ibay or home-directory the netorking is stopped after some seconds (no ping to the server or internet from clients. Server can't ping to clients, but can ping to internet), so I must reboot (and can't used ibay or home). Deleting files from clients in ibays or home is ok. If I write files from one client to another client all is ok, but not on the server :(

The clients are Win98SE and Win2000. The networkcards are all RealTek 8139, except server to internet (RTL8029). With E-Smith 5.1.2 there was no such problem.

Anybody knows whats wrong (except my bad english ;)  )?

Regards. Ralf

Judy Morgan

Re: Network stopped v5.6
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 08:06:31 PM »
Hi,
same problem at me.

im looking for a solution. eventualy tcpdump will help.

Can anybody understand why Mitel recommends to update if there are so substantial errors? Maybe my boss forces me to clark connect - that i really hate :(

best regards
judy

Kelvin

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 10:49:45 PM »
I had a similar problem on one setup a little while back. Changing the LAN side network card fixed it for me.

Kelvin.

Craig Bursey

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 02:12:30 AM »
We had something like that happend recently.  We had just done a fresh install of 5.6 and we thought that everything was ok until we tried to copy files from the server to a client.   It took a while but we found that a user had enabled "File and Print Sharing" on his workstation.  I don't see how this mucked things up but once we turned that off......everything was back to normal.

Hope this helps in your situation.

Ralf Hess

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 03:03:35 PM »
I disabled file + printer sharing on both clients, bad luck.

Than I updated samba. At first myEZserver-Collection (2 liba*-files and 3 samba-files v2.2.7-3) and a '/sbin/e-smith/signal-event ibay-modify' and reboot, bad luck. Second the Charlie-Brady-Colection (3 samba*-files v2.2.7a-1es) a '/sbin/e-smith/signal-event ibay-modify' and reboot, bad luck :(

At the beginning I can copy some seconds from the client to the server, now I can copy 1 minute or so (3 times testing).

If anybody know a tip I would be happy.

Regards, Ralf