Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Netatalk 1.6

Aske Andersen

Netatalk 1.6
« on: February 05, 2003, 12:31:13 PM »
Hi

Has anyone compiled Netatalk 1.6 or has a RPM ?

Their sometimes seems to big problemes for OSX users using Netatalk
netatalk-1.5.2-2 or prior.
(permission problem <> Photoshop files, files falsely reported as 0KB etc.)..

Thanks In advance..

Jon Blakely

Re: Netatalk 1.6
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 12:48:26 PM »
SME 5.6 uses

[root@server root]# rpm -q netatalk
netatalk-1.5.5-1es3
Press any key to continue...

Jon

Aske Andersen

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 01:33:05 PM »
Hi
I really doubt that v.1.5.5.-les3 will solve the problems -
I will try to compile the v1.6 in the next days..
:
News in Netatalk 1.6.0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Netatalk 1.6.0 is a new major release that greatly enhances Netatalk's
usefulness. Especially noteworthy are the improved compatibility with
MacOS X as well as industry-standard programs like Photoshop and
QuarkXPress.

Jeff Fentum

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 05:59:58 PM »
This may or may not be related, but I'm having some strange problems with Mac OS X's directory listings using a backup/file syncing utility called Chronosync.

Here are the specifics:

SME v.5.5 (Server-Gateway)
Mac OS 10.1.5 (Client)

I load up a server volume on the server, and all of the directory's contents look "normal" (i.e. the files I expect to see, and their corresponding icons are there and intact).

Then I'll run a file sychronization session using Chronosync. The server volume is the "source", a partition on my client's local drive is the "target". The synchronization is set to duplicate/copy files from the source to the target. In other words, a one way synchronization is occuring, not a 2-way.

Now, here's the problem. After running the session, the contents of some of the directories are not "normal". A folder icon will display as a file icon. Files that should be in the directory are not there, or appear to have been replaced by files that should be in other directories--according to my OS X client. But when I check the directory contents via the command line, everything that I expect to see there, is there. When I dismount and remount the server volume on the client, the problem is still present. When I reboot the client, and mount the volume, the contents are "normal" again.

I know that the knee-jerk cure would be "don't use Chronosync" and try another approach to backing up files. But I keep thinking that the "fix" would be to pair up Netatalk 1.6 with Mac OS 10.2. In other words, I like the features and interface with Chronosync, and the ability to use it would definitely make my life easier.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this?

Aske Andersen

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 12:50:56 AM »
I tryed to compile the Netatalk 1.6 today, no luck  :-/.

Well - on my Esmith 5.5, I've also seen files disappearing  when I copy from my OSX.10.2.3, the problem could be OSX AFP <> Netatalk 1.5.x.
I've seen some posts about this subject, we are not the only ones having problems.

Until Netatalk 1.6 is out I am gonna avoid accessing the E-smith via OSX :-/.

Have you tryed Retrospect ? does it behave better ?

Good luck...

Jeff Fentum

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 05:57:32 PM »
I tried to use Retrospect 5, but it will not recognize the contents of an SME server volume's directory via AFP. It will via Samba using Sharity, but the resource forks are not picked up (a big pain to teach each user that they can open these files from WITHIN the programs) and I have to contend with a ton of legacy files with filenames containing all of the "NO-NO" characters (such as the infamous slash /).

I haven't tried DAVE yet--too expensive, it's cheaper for an OS upgrade! I'm fairly certain that the results would be similiar though. I'm struggling with a non-existent budget and big demands from my employer...