Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

VPN Passage

Erik

VPN Passage
« on: January 18, 2003, 02:30:39 AM »
Dear Forum,

After extensive searches I hope someone can help me out with the following:

I'm trying to establish a VPN connection between my corporate Laptop, through my private SME 5 server to the Corporate network. The company uses the Nortel VPN client. In the FAQ I found the suggested commands and I have executed them, without a full result.

My current situation is that I can PING the comany server from the Root prompt, but my client computer (win2000) can't and thus the Nortel client doesn't go though.

Did I miss something or did i do something completely wrong ?

Thanks,

Erik

Trevor B

Re: VPN Passage
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 07:14:43 AM »
Erik,

if you used the following from the FAQ to turn on the masq required it should all be OK...

/sbin/e-smith/config setprop masq ipsec yes
  /sbin/e-smith/signal-event remoteaccess-update

I have been using the Nortel client on my 'Corporate Notebook' and a local workstation since version 4.1.2 (needed something extra than above statements) with no trouble (am now on 5.5, will upgrade shortly).

I log onto the notebook as if I am dialling up (ie. against the corporate domain, not my home domain), then just run the Extranet client.

The comment you make about not being able to ping your work server does worry me tho. Is your notebook setup for dynamic IP assignment via DHCP (so that the SME sever assigns your IP address) or do you have a static IP address? If you have a static IP address it will not be setup to use the SME server as it's gateway and hence won't be able to see the internet at all. Unfortunately I don't know how to have your SME box recognise this 'other' IP address (and potentially IP mask).

Hope this helps.....
Trevor B

Erik wrote:
>
> Dear Forum,
>
> After extensive searches I hope someone can help me out with
> the following:
>
> I'm trying to establish a VPN connection between my corporate
> Laptop, through my private SME 5 server to the Corporate
> network. The company uses the Nortel VPN client. In the FAQ I
> found the suggested commands and I have executed them,
> without a full result.
>
> My current situation is that I can PING the comany server
> from the Root prompt, but my client computer (win2000) can't
> and thus the Nortel client doesn't go though.
>
> Did I miss something or did i do something completely wrong ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Erik

Erik

Re: VPN Passage
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 11:06:05 PM »
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpfull because it confirmed the possibility to use this setup.

You reply made me think a bit further and to use this passage I found that the server has to be configured in "Server and Gateway" mode and not "Privateserver and Gateway". As you can imagine my server was in Private mode.

The configuration is working now.

Thanks again,

Erik