Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

VPN woes

Vince Levalois

VPN woes
« on: January 04, 2003, 12:41:39 AM »
Hello!

I've got an SME Server version 5.6 doing DHCP to clients and set up as server/gateway with a public IP address.  I also have a Win2K box assigned with a private IP outside the DHCP range and it is the PDC.  The SME has been properly assigned into the right workgroup, same as the rest of the clients and server.

I am able to create a new VPN connection on a WXP client that authenticates with no problems.  The connection is a ADSL with a static WAN IP.  I've done nothing to the ADSL modem and I'm able to connect.  The problem is this:

1.  The connection stays up, yet it seems to "time out" in the sense that I can no longer ping any private IP on the remote network nor can I access the server-manager via https.  Occasionally, it will "wake-up" and flow downstream but then will stop.

2.  I cannot see my domain on the remote LAN.  I've tried the Domain logon in the VPN properties but no luck.  I've gone as far as creating a user on the Win2K box that has identical username/password configuration to see if it worked, but nothing.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Vince

Vince Levalois

VPN woes update
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 11:19:31 PM »
OK, I was able to get the server name resolution working at least by entering the NT server IP in the WINS server list of the VPN connection properties and making sure that registering the machine was enabled in DNS.

The remote workgroup does not appear automatically but when I browse the server (as in trying to create a network drive) it does appear.

Vince Levalois

Bill Talcott

Re: VPN woes update
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2003, 06:17:00 PM »
If you have a separate server on your LAN acting as a WINS server, you should specify that to the SME.

# /sbin/e-smith/db configuration setprop smb WINSServer 192.168.20.1
# /sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/smb.conf
# service smb restart

Vince Levalois

Re: VPN woes update
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2003, 10:06:35 PM »
Bill Talcott wrote:
>
> If you have a separate server on your LAN acting as a WINS
> server, you should specify that to the SME.
>
> # /sbin/e-smith/db configuration setprop smb WINSServer
> 192.168.20.1
> # /sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/smb.conf
> # service smb restart

I did exaclty this and it accepted the commands.  I specified the 192.168.x.x address of the NT server doing WINS but no dice.

Once the connection is established, I can view the shares, but then all of a sudden I can't even ping any of the internal VPN IPs... It's eratic in the sense that sometimes it comes back up and I can ping, but then it'll stall and act as if I'm not connected at all.... this is frustrating!

I have ports 1723 and 1725 open on both routers and protocol 47 is open.
1723 and 1725 have been set to internal IP address 192.168.254.0 to allow the whole scope to access.

What am I missing?

Vince