Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Blades from other place

Jáder Marasca

Blades from other place
« on: December 30, 2002, 04:38:09 AM »
I have been testing a similar software this weekend... ClarkConnect (free version)...
Nice but no so easy as SME!
But I really like one feature: Updates page (I know... SME use Blades!)

So I was thinking why some smart guy (Helo Darrel, Abe and Brown) do not modify standard Blade (or create a new one!) to download blades and updates in a even easier way. Imagine to be able to download SME modification blades from somewhere else than SME? A central deposit (a FREE place) to have all updated versions of software!
You´re using APC to SME v.382 and there is a new 385 ? How do you will know for each of your servers? Just click on Public Updates Blade link during your weekly review of that server! And with simple click update all new packages!

Wouldn´t this to be wonderful?

This is working for ClackConnect... why shouldn´t work for SME?

Abe Loveless

Re: Blades from other place
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 11:52:55 PM »
Wow... I don't think I would classify myself with Darrell or Dan quite yet, but thanks for the compliment.  :)

This isn't quite the same thing... actually, it's only a small piece of it, but here is an "update-system" .rpm that will let you install rpm's and "update" files from the server-manager.

http://myezserver.com/downloads/mitel/contrib/update-system/

This seems to have been a start on the project you're describing above, I'm not sure if it is being actively developed or not.  I haven't seen any recent info on the dev-info list about it.

I'm not sure what would be involved in doing the auto-detection, but I would guess that it isn't as easy as it sounds.

Jáder Marasca

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 12:04:25 AM »
Abe Loveless wrote:
>
> Wow... I don't think I would classify myself with Darrell or
> Dan quite yet, but thanks for the compliment.  :)

Abe... You´re welcome! I appreciate your work!

> This isn't quite the same thing... actually, it's only a
> small piece of it, but here is an "update-system" .rpm that
> will let you install rpm's and "update" files from the
> server-manager.

I know it... it´s a wonderful piece of software (I have seen it also in Smoothwall for updates!).

(...)

> I'm not sure what would be involved in doing the
> auto-detection, but I would guess that it isn't as easy as it
> sounds.

Have you seen Clarkconnect ? www.clarkconnect.org

They have this... or something like this!
And I know... speak is easy, try to do! :-)
And to be worst I cannot help... because I don´t know nothing about programming!
Maybe some day I start... just for fun!

Shad Lords

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 12:15:19 AM »
I have been looking in to this and it shouldn't be too hard to implement.  There is a setting in the configuration database that allows you to point to a different server to pull your blades from.

I have asked Mitel for details on what they have implemented on the server side but never received an answer to my inquires.

Basically the blades client makes an SSH connection using RSA keys to authenticate (these would have to be distributed for the new server) and passes a perl object to the server.  The server parses the object and sends back a perl object that contains the list of blades.

Anyone wanting to jump onboard and figure this out (developers at this point not testers) in more detail please contact me.

-Shad