Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Installing majordomo

Warren Agin

Installing majordomo
« on: November 11, 2002, 07:37:39 PM »
Any hints on installing majordomo over E-smith? Alternatively, any suggestions for an alternative listserver application?

-Warren Agin

brian read

Re: Installing majordomo
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 12:20:41 AM »

Warren Agin

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 03:09:37 AM »
That is very helpful and if I can fix a current problem with qmail (which I probably broke while installing majordomo) I'll give it a try instead of finishing the majordomo install.

-Warren Agin

Warren Agin

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2002, 03:30:48 AM »
That is very helpful and if I can fix a current problem with qmail (which I probably broke while installing majordomo) I'll give it a try instead of finishing the majordomo install.

-Warren Agin

Chaloner Hale

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2002, 07:30:47 AM »
Also look for mojomail on sourceforge.net.

brian read

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2002, 09:06:40 AM »
Mojomail is here.  My main problem with it was that there is no email interface for subscription (or there wasn't when I looked a few months ago).

http://www.tech-geeks.org/contrib/mdrone/mojo-howto/mojo-howto.html

Cheers

Brian

Warren Agin

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2002, 10:04:02 PM »
Thank you both for your help. Majordomo appears to have been a poor choice - both because it is not designed for use with qmail and the e-mail configuration changes have to be integrated with e-smith's templates.

I looked at both Mailman and Mojo Mail as options. I did an install of Mojo Mail - which went smoothly and worked fine thanks to the directions referenced above. However, Mojo Mail does not allow true list functionality unless you install an expansion script. Until you do, only the list admin can send messages - and then only using the Web interface.

Installing the expansion script seemed easy, and required setting up a .qmail alias file to pipe incoming e-mails to the script. However, no matter how much I played with the file settings e-mails sent to the script would not go through. Checking the sendmail style logs available through the e-smith panel indicated that the e-mails were being sent to the script, but were then deferred due to a "permission denied" error.

Not sure what the problem was and, frankly, it was a little beyond me.

In the end, I discovered that you can set up a mailing list using qmail as is. Just add a file called .qmail- in /var/qmail/alias/ and include the e-mail addresses you want to send to - one per line. E-mails sent to @ will forward to the entire list. I gave my username ownership of the file and set up a symbolic link from the .qmail- file to my user/home directory, and now I can edit the file directly from my Windows desktop.

This isn't perfect - but will serve my needs.

-Warren Agin

Sterling

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2002, 11:36:14 AM »
Why not try ezmlm? Works great with qmail (it was designed for it), it's fairly easy to set up and adds a nice web interface to server-manager.

Here's the info I used to get it working:
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=5406.msg19076#msg19076

The RPMs mentioned can be found here:
ftp://ftp.e-smith.net/pub/e-smith/contrib/GordonRowell/RPMS

Regards,
Sterling

Chris G

qmail | piping a message to a program
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 12:09:26 PM »
I have been trying to pipe | messages to a program.  In this case it is email.cgi for PerlDesk 1.7 (awesome helpdesk software).  Has abyone else successfully done this?  I continue to get permission_denied errors.  I have seen other messages in the forum - but none seem to figure it out.

@400000003e5349e1198c8124 delivery 233: deferral: /bin/sh:_/home/e-smith/files/ibays/networkhelp/cgi-bin/email.cgi:_Permission_denied/
@400000003e5349e1198cac1c status: local 0/10 remote 0/20

Chris G.