Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

XP client chewing up DHCP addresses

Aaron

XP client chewing up DHCP addresses
« on: October 21, 2002, 08:00:52 AM »
At two different sites an e-smith box supports multiple Win98/ME clients with a single XP Pro machine.

Reviewing the DHCP leases the XP machine has gobbled up a good two dozen leases! This is true for the other site too. Another site with only Win98/ME the leases file is pretty much static (and this is true for the other Win9/ME machines too on the topic sites too)  

Anyone with any idea why the XP's currently leased IP would not be satisfactory for renewal? This isnt a problem as each site has more leases than nodes, but it is certainly interesting!

Aaron

Rob Wellesley

Re: XP client chewing up DHCP addresses
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2002, 03:50:42 PM »
Aaron wrote:
 but it is certainly
> interesting!

I'm interested too

Lc

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 06:03:23 AM »
On my little home network, I noticed similar behaviour.  I think the cause was WinXP waking up from hibernation.  It seemed to fetch a new lease every time it woke up.

Hope it helps!

Regards!

Leonard
http://www.lc.yi.org

Les Mikesell

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2002, 02:41:05 AM »
Normally the MAC address should be the same on every request and the same IP number should be returned by the DHCP server.   I'm not sure about XP but win2k and NT servers could be configured to allow dial-in RAS service and would grab enough addresses via DHCP to cover the number of connections allowed.  These aren't tied to a MAC address so every time the machine or RAS service restarts it grabs a new batch even if the old leases haven't expired.