Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

time server broadcasting

dean

time server broadcasting
« on: October 18, 2002, 05:36:37 PM »
I am running a program on a machine on my local network called K9 in debug mode which shows any ntp broadcasts on my network.

none are shown (after 3 hours of running) (it does work as i set up a windows ntp server and it see's them packets)

question
sme 5.5 should broadcast ntp packets to the local network, how can i "see" how often? which config files states broadcasting frequency?

i dont want to bombard the internet timeservers with traffic from all machines on the network

P.S i have read the thread on time servers but it seems to deal solely with clients, i have no problem with my clients just the sme server.

Bill Talcott

Re: time server broadcasting
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2002, 06:36:26 PM »
Are time servers supposed to broadcast? I thought the client was just supposed to connect to it.

I use CmdTime (http://www.softshape.com/download/#freeware) in our netlogon.bat to have the PCs sync with our SME and two external servers when they boot up.

Patrick Hickey

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2002, 10:05:36 PM »
Time servers do NOT broadcast.

I might add, thank God.

patrick

Dan Brown

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2002, 11:00:00 PM »
Ah, but they can be set to.

in /etc/ntp.conf, add this line:

broadcast 192.168.1.255

Better to put it in a template, of course.

dean

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 08:52:31 PM »
cheers, That worked and was what i wanted to do.. Thank You

amazing how i spent 2 hours searching through ntpd info and couldnt find that option to broadcast anywhere.

now all i gotta do is figure out how to set it to broadcast every 10 minutes!  yes a cuple of my apps are that critical on acces file times

Dan Williams

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 10:43:42 PM »
If you wanted your workstations to synchronize their time to the sme would you just do the following then?

On SME Server:
Assure that a valid Network Time Server is set in Configuration/Date&Time Panel.
in /etc/ntp.conf, add this line:
broadcast (SME PRIVATE IP)

On NT 2K Workstation:
set sntp:/SME PRIVATE IP

Is this a recommended way of doing this to assure workstations are time synced to sme?

Dan

Michiel

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 01:47:58 AM »
Why don't you just put the following line in your autoexec.bat or netlogon.bat:

net time \smeserver /set /yes

Broadcasting creats needless traffic on your LAN and I suppose it's enough if the clients sync once a day.

M

Dan Williams

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 03:45:24 AM »
The one problem is this, if the windows 2k user does not have an acct on the server, you get access denied.
In this case there are 14 some users that only use the sme as a web appliance, to much work to set up all those accounts.
Is there a workaround?
the users log in now as Administrator /password on their win2k box.