Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Connect to WinXP

Bicky

Connect to WinXP
« on: October 16, 2002, 09:49:53 AM »
How can I do if my client (WinXP) cannot login into a sme server.

darren

Re: Connect to WinXP
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2002, 12:38:38 PM »
need More info
canno't login to Domain on sme server  ( search on xp domain)
or make sure user exsits on sme server

Richard Fleming

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2002, 05:06:11 PM »
We are running SME 5.1.2 and can't login from Win XP Professional - says "can't login to domain, make sure domain not down etc.."  Also struggling to print from Win XP to printers shared from the SME server - when you Add printer - no problems but then says "access denies, unable to connect"

Bill Talcott

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2002, 06:14:39 PM »
By default, XP requires a Win2k domain. There is a registry hack that allows XP to logon to "unsigned" domains like the SME.

John Gray

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2002, 06:17:37 PM »
Try this how-to re registry settings in xp.

http://www.myezserver.com/downloads/mitel/howto/samba-howto.html

Can't have machine names same as user name.

Michael Smith

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2002, 10:24:30 AM »
I can speak to the printer issue, just having dealt with same this morning ... WinXP Pro printing to a share on a 5.1.2 server ("\esmith\printer").  The XP machine saw the printer just fine automagically and happily created a connection, but I too got the "access denied" message and no print job was forthcoming.

I figured it was a port issue, as the printer's properties didn't explicitly show a new local port of \esmith\printer ... HOWEVER once the printer is created it's impossible to either create or delete that port!  You can't delete it ... it doesn't appear in the list ... and you can't create it ... because XP says it already exists!  ARGH!

So I went into regedit, looked for \esmith\printer, found it, thought about the key in which it was found (sorry, can't remember exactly ... long day!) then deleted the entry for \esmith\printer.  I also deleted the printer, then recreated it as if it were attached to LPT1.  THEN I went into the properties, Ports, and created a new local port of \esmith\printer.  Problem solved.

Kevin Manderson

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2002, 04:06:04 PM »
Hi

I just had the same problem with a new XP/Home laptop and fixed it by running regedit on the XP box and tweaking the requiresignorseal entries to be the opposite of the default XP setting.

When regedit starts up make sure the cursor is at the top of the hives and use ctl f (^f = find) and enter requiresignorseal. The first entry may not be relevant (wasn't for me) and I then had to then go ^f four more times to edit entry them all. NT and 2000 only had the entry once - XP had four. I had to restart XP and voila - all worked.

Regards
kevin

Ed Form

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2002, 10:03:31 PM »
Kevin Manderson wrote:

> I just had the same problem with a new XP/Home laptop and
> fixed it by running regedit on the XP box and tweaking the
> requiresignorseal entries to be the opposite of the default
> XP setting.

Be careful with XP Home looking at SME servers. It doesn't talk to Samba at all properly. The most striking symptom is gross underestimation of the numbers of files in large directory structures. The same machine will read a copy of the same large directory on an NT server perfectly. I beliefve that late versions of Samba have cured this problem but you should make certain before trusting the interface between your portable and your server.

Ed Form

Kevin Manderson

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2002, 02:58:07 AM »
Hmmm,

OK will check that out, thanks

K