Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

/etc/e-smith/web/functions/backup

HB

« on: September 15, 2002, 11:50:40 PM »
Since I'm very inexperienced in rpms, templates and iso images. Please help me restore my

I wrecked it and now I don't know how to easily restore it...
Please either send me the original (from v5.5) or tell me how to somehow reinstall it.

The long story:
I tried to follow http://www.dungog.net/sme/howto/backup.html (It's unavailable right now, so I'm only 99% sure about this) on how to exclude some directories from the std backup to file.
When I had applied the very simple change to /etc/e-smith/web/functions/backup the backup did not work anymore.
The backup function from the web interface gave a 'server-error' page and when I tried to remove my change it gave me the same error. Obviously I wrecked something - though it's hard for me to see what it is I have wrecked.

Thx!

Scott Smith

Re: /etc/e-smith/web/functions/backup
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 03:09:32 AM »
Which is why you should always, always, always make a backup copy of a file before you start mucking about with it. A simple "cp file file.xyz" will save much grief later...

Rob Wellesley

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2002, 03:17:52 PM »
try reinstalling your 5.5 using the upgrade option

HB

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2002, 06:45:37 PM »
Scott:
I know, I know, I know, I know...... I messed up and I suck  :-(

Rob:
I would love to do that - as soon as I have made a backup    ;-)
(means: I can't do that)
But thanks anyway!

Rob Wellesley

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2002, 02:21:04 PM »
No really!

If you choose the upgrade option it will reinstall all your packages - your /etc/e-smith/web/functions/backup as well - without overwriting your data. Kinda like doing a reinstall of windows when a system file gets corrupted.

Rob

Or - do an install of 5.5 on to another machine and copy the original file over to your current machine

also this will let you do a desktop backup -

http://www.mail-archive.com/devinfo@lists.e-smith.org/msg07855.html

hmmm..   the link above is all one line