Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

E-Smith & Starband?

Jeffrey

E-Smith & Starband?
« on: August 06, 2002, 12:42:43 AM »
Hi,
  Has anyone tried, or better yet had any luck with, using the Starband satellite system with the E-Smith server 5.5? I know that Starband connects via Cat5 cable, but there aren't any linux drivers... that I know of.
  Before I invest in the Starband system I was hoping to find whether or not I can use it with my current setup. Any info would be appreciated!
Thank you,
Jeffrey

Tom Veitch

Re: E-Smith & Starband?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 12:53:02 AM »
Can you point me to their web site,

I would like to look into this for e-smith

Regards

Tom

Jeffrey

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 12:55:23 AM »
Yup,
  www.starband.com

Jeffrey

Nathan Fowler

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 05:18:30 AM »
I've done some in-depth reviews of Starband, and unless you have no other options aside from dial-up you won't want to invest in this technology.  They impose bandwidth limitations (Over 2GB and they cut your bandwidth in half).  Also you will have high latency (750 ms or greater) at times because of the fact that the time to transmit and relay the signal via satellite takes time.  Also note that I have received reports of throughput being as low as 4.5Kb/sec at peak usage times and sometimes, just like with DirecTV, your signal strength and connectivity can be affected by adverse weather and excessive cloud cover.  I say this simply because there is a lot of money to cash out for the system and the monthly are rather steep.  There are several forums on StarBand, I recommend searching google and getting some of the reviews.  It some cases it may be cheaper to get dual-channel ISDN, at least it will be more stable and faster.  StarBand is completely worthless for playing online games such as Q3, your latency will actually be higher than a dial-up system, most 56K modems have a latency to any given server (depending on the router) of around 250 to 350ms, you're almost twice that with StarBand.

Should I find any linux drivers for StarBand (it is my understanding that Starband requires a USB port, not ethernet) I will be sure to point them out.  To quote StarBand directly (http://www.starband.com/faq/topquestions.htm#mac):

"The StarBand Model 360 satellite modem must be connected to a PC running a Microsoft Windows® 98, Windows® 98SE, Windows® 2000, Windows® Me or Windows® XP operating system.

Networking, to enable Macintosh or Linux machines to share the StarBand service, is done solely at the risk of the StarBand member. To help minimize the risks associated with networking multiple PCs for shared use of the StarBand service, members may want to explore use of a product by Ositis Software.

Ositis Software has created a version of their home networking software specifically for use with the StarBand service, called WinProxy for StarBand. Please visit Ositis Software’s web site for sales and service information on this home networking product.

The StarBand service is for Internet connectivity and customer support of a single personal computer connected directly to the StarBand satellite modem. Additional computers, networked in such a way as to utilize the StarBand service and consume additional bandwidth, may result in service restrictions if the bandwidth usage exceeds permissible levels under the Acceptable Use Policy. "

Before any of you make a decision to use StarBand please read the Terms of Use and Acceptable Use Policy, they are very stingy with bandwidth and service usage.  From what I know, I really would stay away from StarBand.

Hope this helped,
Nathan

John Helms

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2002, 10:10:18 AM »
I might add that I have had the (mis)fortune to setup DirectPC for a customer (another Sat Internet service) and it is equally bad. Its Windows only and requires the use of USB Transmit and Receive devices. It was a bear to get working and VERY unstable even after it was working. Horrible performance compared to E-Smith. I would suggest just sticking to a 56k modem shared dialup before using one of these Windows based messes.

Bill Talcott

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2002, 06:22:10 PM »
I have to second what Nathan said. We actually just cancelled the install we had scheduled for our other office later this week. We've chosen to stick with dialup.

http://www.skycasters.com/supervpnwhitepaper.htm explains some of how satellite works, and why it doesn't work with VPN. They do some IP spoofing to make it not see that huge lag, so that it will send and receive data faster. With the encrypted VPN packets, it can't spoof the IP, so it's as slow as dialup. When we called and asked about it, this company (doing DirecWay) said they don't support VPN at all.

In my searching, I have yet to find any non-Windows setup for it. When the DW4020 router comes out, you won't need to have a PC directly hooked up, similar to the broadband routers that are all over now. But they just keep pushing the date on it further back, and you're looking at another couple hundred bucks for that piece of equipment on top of the current costs.

Lazo

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2002, 07:11:14 PM »
I red some time ago that you can hack into the starband modem and unplug the usb card, why? because inside the modem there is a rj45 plug, but the card is a rj45 to USB, I can not verify this, I red this on a site, but i misplace the link, and of course, if you open your modem you may lose your warranty!!

Nathan Fowler

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2002, 07:56:32 PM »
I read this information as well, however, with that being said it only functioned on the older modems, it is my understanding that you can no longer remove the USB card and have the device act as ethernet-only.  Even if it did work with E-Smith it still isn't a usable service.

Hope this helped,
Nathan

Jeffrey

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2002, 12:34:08 AM »
Thank you, everyone, for your posts on this subject. Since I live WAY OUT in the woods, my only chance at getting highspeed access is one of these satellite units. In any case, I'll keep you posted as to how it turns out!
Again, thanks.
Jeffrey