Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Cron jobs - not part of backup, suggestions?

Aaron

Cron jobs - not part of backup, suggestions?
« on: August 05, 2002, 11:23:43 PM »
I see from the backup listing that local cron scripts deposited in the /etc/cron.daily/weekly/monthly folders are not included in the "System Backup".

Now I had been putting typical PurgeFiles, MiniBackup, Rsync, and other such scripts into the /etc/cron.daily/weekly/monthly folders as it seemed like an obvious place and I get the items run automatically without mucking with the crontab.

My concept of doing an E-SMITH "System Backup" means that the final output I have in hand, whether it be an archive file or a tape, is something I can go to a replacement machine, restore, and be back in business with the user, data, and system scripts in place as per before the crash/disaster/machine upgrade.

It seems that either the system backup is difficient in addressing these files or I am off in left field putting system scripts where they shouldnt be.

So...I'm wondering what other administrators are doing for such script locations & triggering?

If the scripts are put into a location either within the e-smith backup tree or in a "systems" type ibay are people recording custom entries into the crontab file via custom templates at hardcoded times? The depositing into the daily/weekly/etc folders was kinda nice as items were run serially, but I can merge scripts to provision that functionality.

What are the wise old administrators doing out there?

Scott Smith

Re: Cron jobs - not part of backup, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2002, 11:35:18 PM »
Put the cron scripts in as custom templates in either:

/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/cron.d

or

/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/crontab

Aaron

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 12:06:30 AM »
OK, that makes sense getting them into the cron process, the result being a crontab style entry.

If you have something other than a one liner command call where are you storing the script itself? For instance I have a script that does a couple rsyncs & stuff. If the cron call to rsync.sh is built by one of the files you mentioned, where would the rsync.sh script itself live?

Scott Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 12:09:11 AM »
I create /home/e-smith/local and bury my stuff under that. The backup takes the entire /home/e-smith directory tree, so I don't have to do anything special (other than create the directories and files, of course.)

Aaron

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2002, 12:23:34 AM »
> I create /home/e-smith/local and bury my stuff under that.
> The backup takes the entire /home/e-smith directory tree, so
> I don't have to do anything special (other than create the
> directories and files, of course.)

Roger - that was the missing link. Thanks!

Kelvin

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2002, 03:15:48 AM »
Hi Scott,

> I create /home/e-smith/local and bury my stuff under that.
> The backup takes the entire /home/e-smith directory tree

This is good to know. In the past I've had to put stuff into an ibay just so they get backed up. Do you know if this applies to desktop backups as well as tape based backups ?

Kelvin

Scott Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2002, 04:14:19 AM »
Unless I've missed something, as of 5.1.2...

...flexbackup is configured to take the entire /home directory.

...desktop backup is configured to take /home/e-smith only.