Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

XP with SME Server as Gateway

Ade

XP with SME Server as Gateway
« on: July 12, 2002, 03:40:17 PM »
Hi folks, we've just installed an SME Server 5.5 as a private server gateway.

This is acting as the gateway for a small lan with a windows 2000 domain controller. All client pcs are Win XP Pro.

The problem is the http access to the internet is very very slow!

Everything else is fine. In fact it is faster for me to remote desktop to my home pc and browse from there!?!

Anybody any ideas what could be causing this?

Andy Parkinson

Re: XP with SME Server as Gateway
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2002, 05:01:23 PM »
I've got a similar problem with a windows 2000 lan. The access isn't really slow but considerably slower than using Smoothwall. One thing to be considered is that the dns is supplied by the windows 2000 server in this situation rather than the the SME so it may be  woth trying to explicitly set the dns settings to point to the SME box to see if the problem is related to DNS. Also it is probably worth disabling the proxy as I have found that this can introduce delays. Does the windows 2000 server take an age to boot. (ie 10 to 15 mins) If it does then there may be some dns issues with this. Ade wrote:
>
> Hi folks, we've just installed an SME Server 5.5 as a private
> server gateway.
>
> This is acting as the gateway for a small lan with a windows
> 2000 domain controller. All client pcs are Win XP Pro.
>
> The problem is the http access to the internet is very very
> slow!
>
> Everything else is fine. In fact it is faster for me to
> remote desktop to my home pc and browse from there!?!
>
>
> Anybody any ideas what could be causing this?

Ade

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2002, 06:55:02 PM »
Thanks for  your reply.

As far as i can tell the dns is set to the SME server localhost. Where can i double check this?

How would i go about disabling the proxy?

Andy Parkinson

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2002, 07:10:48 PM »
You can check to see which dns server is being used by going to a command prompt in XP.ie start run cmd.
Then type ipconfig /all .This will tell you what ip settings you have on each interface.

Not quite sure what to advise you with the second part. I disabled the web proxy using the services add in but am not sure how you would do it from the command line if you haven't got that installed

AusMounty

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2002, 04:21:59 PM »
Is there any particular reason for using a win2k for domain controller? I have (admittently) a small redundant pc that I rebuilt specifically for a server gateway, also handles the aspect of domain controller as well. Behind this I have my XP Pro system which uses all aspects of the facilities built into the SME box, with local mail distribution as well as handling all the gateway tasks....

All this in an overclocked P133 with 98 Mb SDRAM and a 2.5 gig IDE HDD... 10/100 Intel E-Express Pro PCI NIC.... works a treat