Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

MX records and SME.. A little worried.

Rob Irrgang

MX records and SME.. A little worried.
« on: June 17, 2002, 11:34:58 AM »
Hi,

Last week I set up an e-smith (er, SME) server on our new dedicated net connection with the idea of it handling our POP3/SMTP needs.

Now, we're waiting for the MX records for the domain it will be handling [we have several] to propagate, and I'm starting to get worried about something.

Because at first, I pointed the MX records of yet another domain of ours [not in use] to the server, named the server 'mail.ourdomainname.com' and rebooted it; set up the router to allow POP3 and SMTP access [might as well disable SMTP from outside, but I wasn't thinking straight].

Also, I had our host point mail.ourdomainname.com to the IP of the server.

This worked fine; username@ourrdomainname.com went through;  however, mail sent to username@the_IP_of_the_server didn't go through. 'No relaying', yadda yadda, you've probably seen it before.

Now, I'm worried that when the MX records for our MAIN domain name start pointing to the IP of the server, it'll not accept mail sent to it on that domain name since there are no subdomains on that MAIN domain name [am I still making sense?] pointing to it that I can name it with.

I guess this is what you get when you use multiple ISPs, because the MAIN domain name one isn't that fast at say, adding a mail.thatmaindoman subdomain .. long live their bureaucratic ways.

So is there a way to allow SME to accept any mail sent to the server based on the to: field's domain's MX records?

I hope I'm making sense.

This is URGENT, so if anyone can help...

Thanks in advance,

Rob Irrgang

enigma

Re: MX records and SME.. A little worried.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 03:07:18 AM »
IF i understand your concerns correclty,
As long as you set up all relevant domains (additionally) on the SME and have the isps point the MX records of such to your server. Then you should have no problems.

Regards

Enigma