Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

community wireless setup

Dean Thomas

community wireless setup
« on: June 17, 2002, 08:16:27 AM »
G'day everyone

I have setup a free wireless mesh in Caboolture (Australia) at the moment the E-smith box is sharing my ADSL connection (PPoE) to my office (DHCP 192.168.90.65 through to 192.168.90.120 range). I have an Apple Airport connected to my hub with an IP of 192.168.90.71 The Apple Aiport does not have DHCP turned on but I do have it set to perfom NAT and bridge between ethernet and wavelan.

The question I have is how can I have internet access and access to the machines here in the office through the apple airport, without giving everyone else in the free to all wireless mesh the same privelege?

I set the link up orginally so I could get broadband at home. But others wanted to run a local ftp and game servers. This sounded like a good idea at the time, but at the moment my network is wide open to all!

Kevin

Re: community wireless setup
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2002, 11:10:37 PM »
Just enable the VPN capabilities.  PPTP will keep your information encrypted and force you to authenticate before letting you in.  Make sure you have a strong password through, and I would running through the upgarde to IPsec for enhanced security.  Out of the box, though, you're ready to go with PPTP.