Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

"Network Busy" error after upgrading to 4.1 and 4.

Jonathan Gill

"Network Busy" error after upgrading to 4.1 and 4.
« on: March 07, 2001, 05:18:07 AM »
Hi All,

I have been using E-smith for about 4 months now, started off with 4.0 and a fairly small network (10 machines) and all was fine.  Every one can print, everyone can connect to shared folders everyone can log in!  

However a couple of weeks ago I upgraded to 4.1 (a couple of days after the launch of 4.1) and then the problems started.  Periodically when trying to connect to a network device (printer or shared directory) I get "network busy" message under windows 9x, the connection would not be made and I would not be able to print/access shared files etc.  This would not happen on every machine, just some, and the ones it didn't work on would change from day to day!  

I recently (last week) upgraded to 4.1.1 hoping this would fix my problem.  But it seems the problem has now extended and now none of the machines can log in, access printers, access shared folders etc.  

Has anyone got any ideas as to what could be the problem and how to fix this?

Many thanks

Jonathan "at wits end" Gill

Darrell May

Re: "Network Busy" error after upgrading to 4.1 an
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2001, 10:29:56 AM »
All I can quickly say is 4.1.1 does work.   As a guess, because things were working even after your upgrades and have now gotten progressively worse it sounds like faulty hardware.  Maybe a bad network card in the server, or cabling/hub issues.

Darrell

Alejandro

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2001, 04:59:03 PM »
Take a look too to the ip address assignment, dchp service configuration and ranges.
it could be a misconfigured ip address.
A.

tinga

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2001, 05:25:35 PM »
Have you installed zonealarm !! on the win machines.
This may give trouble,

with regards Tinga