Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

ibay

maccamob

ibay
« on: May 06, 2002, 02:21:19 PM »
hello again all,
I've just recently tried adding a new hard drive to my SME box, after a few tries I've been succesfull as to get the drive in, partitioned, a file system on it, a folder with in the drive and edited /etc/fstab as instructed from with this forum. I can SSH to the box and do a 'df -h' the drive is there and reports the correct size(am i taking the right steps first of all?), but im having troubles getting an Ibay on that new drive. If I try to name an Ibay the same as the folder I created within the new drive, I get an error saying folder of this name already exists. My eyes are starting to sting now, so if anyone can be as kind- how can I specifiy when creating an Ibay tell it to make the Ibay on the new drive.
many thanks

macca

Jonathan

Re: ibay
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2002, 08:05:25 AM »
Hi Macca,

Linux mounts drives under a directory in the filesystem, so you need to create the directory first, then use the directory as your mount point for the new drive.  The directory used as a mount point must be empty before the drive can be mounted, so the way you need to approach this is as follows.
1. Create the ibay using the server-manager.  If your new ibay is "spiderman" this will create a new directory at  '/home/e-smith/files/ibays/spiderman' with three subdirectories 'cgi-bin', 'files' and 'html'.
2. Mount your new drive in a temporary directory; something like /mnt/temp.
2. From a command shell, remove the three subdirectories so that the spiderman directory is completely empty.  Move these subdirectories to the new drive, where they will eventually need to be anyway.  This can be accomplished with the command  "mv /home/e-smith/files/ibays/spiderman/* /mnt/temp"
Substitue the directory where you have temporarily mounted your new drive for /mnt/temp.
3. Now unmount your drive with the umount command (Note that it is NOT uNmount). Edit your fstab file to mount the drive at /home/e-smith/files/ibays/spiderman and mount the drive with the mount command.
4. You should now have the correct directory structure with the three subdirectories under spiderman.  The file structure appears exactly the same as it did after step 1, except that everything under spiderman is actually on your new drive.

You need to ensure that the drive is mounted correctly when the computer starts, if it doesn't check for errors in the /etc/fstab file.

Good luck,
Jonathan