Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Few Questions / Problems

Nick Gushlow

Few Questions / Problems
« on: April 25, 2002, 03:23:42 PM »
OK,  I installed 5.1.2 last night and it seems pretty good.  I like it.  Just a few points I was wondering about:

1. Can you do a custom fdisk when installing?  I have a 6gb and a 3gb disk in my system, but the only two options sme gives is one disk/hardware raid or software raid.

2. I plan to  install the correct packages (as shown in the FAQ) so that I can build stuff on my server; are there any points I should be aware of?

3. Is it possible to have multiple dial up accounts?  Here in the UK we have dialup connections that are charged for during the day (one phone number) and are free on evenings and weekends (a different phone number).

4. Has anybody managed to add a screen to the manager site that will tell you if the dial-up connection is up, and how long it's been up for?

5. Has anybody managed to add a page to the manager site to shut down the connection?  I want long connection times because if I'm reading something on a website I don't want the connection to drop.  On the other hand when I'm done surfing I don't want to have to wait 10/20 minutes before I can use my phone.  (Yes I know I can press the button on the modem but that's a bit of a crude way of doing things).

Thanks for any advice you guys can give.

-- Nick Gushlow

SamC

Re: Few Questions / Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2002, 03:15:14 AM »
1. No you can't fdisk while installing. You can add drives afterwards, however, and mount them as you please. I believe there's a howto on this somewhere.

2. Just make sure you use Red Hat 7.1 packages. I find the easiest way to get these is using rpmfind.org

3. I'm sure it's possible, exactly how to set it up I couldn't say - haven't used dialup much.

4 & 5. Again, it's possible, but I don't know if it's been done, or how to do it.

Nick Gushlow

Re: Few Questions / Problems
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2002, 11:25:49 PM »
Thanks for the pointers Sam! :-)